How many digits can I enter in a cell for a multiplication

Copper Contributor

When I enter 123,456,789 times 123,456,789 the solution comes as: 15,241,578,750,190,500

The result is wrong.  Why is this result appearing?

5 Replies

@Toks4 

If the cell format is General, you can have max 11 digits in the cell and if the digits are more than 11, the scientific notations will be displayed in the cell whereas the actual value underneath the cell remains intact and you can check it if you look at the formula bar.

To display the number correctly if the digits are more than 11, change the cell format to Number with zero decimals.

NumberFormat.jpg

Thanks@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer 

With the format as Number, I can only enter 15 digits and then Excel changes all the digits that follow to "0"

Therefore, if I want to make a multiplication that results in more than 15 digits I don't have the complete result.  Do you know how to make a multiplication that will result in more than 15 digits?

@Toks4 

That's correct. This page describes the Excel Specifications and Limits.

Btw if you only have to enter a large number in a cell i.e. a number with more than 15 digits, you may format the cell as Text and you can enter a number with more than 15 digits. But in your calculations, the 15 digits limit comes into play.