SOLVED

How I calculate two average fields in pivot table

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to subtract two averages in pivot table using calculation filed option

"average 2 - average 1" but the result comes out incorrect it's not the subtraction of both averages

tEjyF1A7Vf.png

I changed the field format to average and still incorrect

Am I missing something?

5 Replies

@Aladdin_Ajaj That doesn't work within a regular pivot table. The result you see is merely the difference between the sum of the values of the two columns you used for the averages. Even when you set it to be an average.

With Power Pivot, however, you can write a few DAX measures for calculating averages and the variance between them.

A very simple example is included in the attached file.

best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@Aladdin_Ajaj 

This doesn't work the way you think it does :)) What happens is illustrated in K2:N4 below:

Sample.png

If, with the above Table1, you expect the diff. shown in I8:I9 AFAIK this isn't doable with a classic PivotTable but with Power Pivot assuming you run Excel >/=2013 on Windows

I didn't use power pivot before, I followed the steps in the excel file and it worked

Thank you for simplify the solution
I didn't know about power pivot tools I thought it's just a subtraction between two values and it's done lol I appreciate your time in explaining the solution it's more clear now
Glad we could help. To help others, please mark as solution (link at the bottom of each reply you get) either @Riny_van_Eekelen or my reply - Thanks & Nice EOD
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Grahmfs13 (Microsoft)
Solution

@Aladdin_Ajaj 

This doesn't work the way you think it does :)) What happens is illustrated in K2:N4 below:

Sample.png

If, with the above Table1, you expect the diff. shown in I8:I9 AFAIK this isn't doable with a classic PivotTable but with Power Pivot assuming you run Excel >/=2013 on Windows

View solution in original post