How do I stop Excel autoscrolling to fit the rows?

New Contributor

As mentioned in the title, how do I stop this if I just want a smooth scroll through the work sheet? I have cells containing some text and are pretty big. I want to be able to have half a cell in view without excel automatically scrolling up or down. I appreciate any help I can get.

7 Replies

@Kristofer645 Not sure what you mean "automatically scrolling up or down". Perhaps something like in the picture below. Cell A1 has "wrap text" activated, cell A4 has not.

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 11.16.53.png

@Riny_van_EekelenThank you for your reply, I hope the picture makes it more understandable.

CheersExcel.png

@Kristofer645 So, you would want to freeze the bottom part of the first row when scrolling. I'm not sure but believe you can't do that. Freeze Panes displays the entire content of the visible rows, i.e. above the row where you put the "freeze marker".

A workaround could be to add a second header row that, for the cells with long texts only displays the last 30 characters or so. You can use the RIGHT function for that. Hide the first header row and freeze row 2. Example attached. Not sure, though, if this is practical for you.

Thanks. I just want the scrolling to stop when I do when using the scrollbar. As it is now, the program adjusts the window to fit the top row. It also means that one "scroll-click" with the arrows or mouse scroll wheel equals a certain amount of rows (I think three) instead of just distance.

@Kristofer645 

Smooth scrolling doesn't work, it is an idea in excel.uservoice.com but I didn't find the link.

Ok, thanks for your reply

@Kristofer645 

I am having the exact same problem.

Also there is room on the printed page to make the row longer to accommodate more text, but it won't let me do that either. 

Is there a character maximum that gets exceeded in each cell or something of that nature?