SOLVED

How do I populate information from one worksheet to another?

Copper Contributor

Hello! 

I am using windows 10 Pro - Excel 2016.

In my workbook - I am trying to have information generated on one page reflect/mirror on another page.  Example:  I am calculating information on one page and want to have that data (the sum) as a snapshot on another page. 

Thank you for your help.

10 Replies
If I am understanding your question correctly, if you are wanting to reference cell A1 from Sheet1 then your Sheet2 A1 would be =Sheet1!A1
You could add more to the formula if you need to calculate something.
How do you verify what the sheet is called? - I renamed each one.
But yes, the sum calculated sheet 1 - I want it to populate that sum on sheet 2. If I make adjustments to sheet 1 - I want it to automatically update on sheet 2.
Go to the sheet where you want the reflected value to be, select the Cell where you need it, press = and then go to the original sheet and click in the cell that you want reflected and press enter.
I have done that - and the value does not match.

@mariepop 

There is another way to do this. Use the "Named range" capability of Excel.

Give the sum in sheet1 (or sheet whatever) a name, for example "ExpTotal"

Then in Sheet 2 (or sheet whatever) all you need to do is enter =ExpTotal

As to how to give a name. You could do something like this. I've entered three numbers and then totaled them in cell C6. In cell B6 I've entered the text ExpTotal. Then go on the menu at the top of your screen and click on "Insert" then "Name" then "Create"  and you should see a dialog box like the one shown below:

mathetes_0-1622042236743.png

Click on the "OK" and your cell is named.

Now you can use it anywhere, in any formula or just by itself in your workbook--same sheet, different sheets--just by referring to that name.

For example, if you wanted to add a 7% tax you could enter =ExpTotal*1.07

Do you have a sample of your spreadsheet that you can upload? Please delete any sensitive data.
When I go to the sheet I want the value pulled from (sheet 1), it seems like it is pulling that cell from the current sheet I am on (sheet 2).
I put the = on sheet 2 where I want it reflected. I go to sheet1 and click the cell that I want to show. Go back to sheet 2 and press enter. The value is zero. When I click the cell again to look at the formula - it looks like it is pulling that same cell location on current sheet, sheet2
Does it allow you to modify the formula in the cell on sheet 2?
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution
Figured it out!

Here is the formula I needed:
=SUM('Sheet name'!A1)

Thank you for your help!
Great, You're welcome.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution
Figured it out!

Here is the formula I needed:
=SUM('Sheet name'!A1)

Thank you for your help!

View solution in original post