SOLVED

How do I open an excel spreedsheet where I want.

Copper Contributor

When I finish working on an Excel Spreadsheet I highlight a cell just below where I finish say F120 which is where I want to start the next time I open that spreadsheet. However, the spreadsheet opens at the very top of the page with cell A1 highlighted. How can I get it to open where I want it to?

9 Replies

@Derek1947 

Make sure that you save the workbook before you close it.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thanks Hans, I tried your suggestion, but I still got the same result.

@Derek1947 

That is strange. Normally, Excel opens a workbook the way you last saved it.

Do you have VBA code that could cause this? Or an add-in?

@Hans Vogelaar 

Hi Hans

I only bought this PC 3 weeks ago and it came with Windows 11. My previous PC had Windows 10.

I have no idea about VBA codes or add ins.

@Derek1947 

Try the following:

Quit Excel completely.

Hold down the left Ctrl key while you start Excel again.

It will ask you whether you want to start Excel in Safe Mode. Answer Yes.

Create or open a workbook.

Select for example cell F100, then save the workbook (Ctrl+S) and close it (Ctrl+F4) without quitting Excel.

What do you see when you reopen the workbook from within Excel?

@Hans Vogelaar 

Hi Hans

I tried your suggestions several times without success. When I reopened it after using (Ctrl+F4) I saw the ribbon at the top of the page but the rest of the page was blank.

@Derek1947 

I'm out of ideas, sorry.

best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution
Hi Hans
Thank you for your help and let me apologise for the length of this post. I have solved the problem of my excel worksheet opening at the top and not where I last closed it.
My PC is about 4 weeks old and has Windows11 installed. My previous PC was 10 years old and had Windows 10 installed. My old PC would not support Windows11 and word and excel documents were not working properly, so I used a Microsoft application called Cool Office.
When I check the excel file extension for the documents I was having trouble with I found it was .ods. I went online and found a document converter, then made a copy of one of my excel documents and dragged and dropped it into the converter after I had set it to convert .ods to .xsls and send it back to my PC desktop. I check the file extension of the converted document and sure enough it is .xsls. After several times opening and closing the document it opens at the same place where I last closed it. Many thanks Derek1947

@Derek1947 

Good to hear that you were able to solve it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution
Hi Hans
Thank you for your help and let me apologise for the length of this post. I have solved the problem of my excel worksheet opening at the top and not where I last closed it.
My PC is about 4 weeks old and has Windows11 installed. My previous PC was 10 years old and had Windows 10 installed. My old PC would not support Windows11 and word and excel documents were not working properly, so I used a Microsoft application called Cool Office.
When I check the excel file extension for the documents I was having trouble with I found it was .ods. I went online and found a document converter, then made a copy of one of my excel documents and dragged and dropped it into the converter after I had set it to convert .ods to .xsls and send it back to my PC desktop. I check the file extension of the converted document and sure enough it is .xsls. After several times opening and closing the document it opens at the same place where I last closed it. Many thanks Derek1947

View solution in original post