How do i merge two lists in excel, to sort out information

Copper Contributor

I have two lists of information, and I want to be able to choose something from the first list, and then the other list will sort out what information goes under this subjekt. Lets say list nr. 2 has 100 different informations and can be sorted out in 5 kategoriens, when i choose one of those 5 kategories in list nr. 1 i will only have 20 things to choose by next instead of 100. 

Thank you in advance

I've added a test sheet now for more clear explanation. When I choose ''Pets'', I only wat Dog, Cat and Horse to be in list nr. 2 and so on

3 Replies

@Signeestrup 

With your permission, if I can recommend you, add a file (without sensitive data) to your project.

Explain your plans in relation to this file. So you can get a solution that is tailored to your needs much faster.

At the same time, it is much easier for someone who wants to help to understand the subject.

A win-win situation for everyone.

Please no Picture, even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases.

* Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

In order not to be misunderstood, in the community it is the aim of excel users to give help on their project (from Excel users), or rather, to provide food for thought and not to deliver finished work or finished ideas.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE Thank you! I've uploaded a test sheet now 

@Signeestrup 

In the spirit of what @NikolinoDE wrote,

in the community it is the aim of excel users to give help on their project (from Excel users), or rather, to provide food for thought and not to deliver finished work or finished ideas.

I'm attaching an example of a way to accomplish your goal.