How do I get rid of a phantom external data connection warning

Copper Contributor

I am on a Macbook Pro using Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.55. Every time I open my file I get a Security Warning - External Data Connections have been disabled... but there are no External Data Connections in the workbook, anywhere.  How do I get it to stop giving me this warning with link to enable content?

6 Replies

@mscottmiller I suspect that the file has been authored in Excel for Windows and includes elements that aren't supported by Excel for Mac, like Power Query. Look on the Data Ribbon, Connections. Do you see something like this?

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 17.08.03.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen No nothing is listed in that data connections pop-up and I am the one who created the workbook 100% in Excel for Mac. I have no idea where this came from.  I did copy over a couple of tabs from another workbook that I created in Excel for Mac but when I pasted I pasted only the values and rewrote the formulas; even redid the pivot table from scratch.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 11.15.24 AM.png

I have the exact same issue. Phantom data connections no where to be found.
Excel for Mac 16.57 on MacOS Monterey 12.1

@mscottmiller 

I have experienced this same issue. It occurred for example, when I created a pivot table in a separate Excel workbook, then imported the data and pivot table sheets into a different workbook, and then subsequently deleted the data sheet that feeds the pivot table. In that instance, the pivot table still works, but when you try to refresh it you will get the error that the tab for the data sheet is missing in the same manner as the external warning arises. In essence, I deleted a sheet that the pivot table was looking for and when the file opens at the sheet attempts to go read that sheet to refresh the pivot table, it errors out as the sheet is not present in the workbook. I suspect that you may be experiencing something the same in your workbook somewhere...Good luck and let us know what you find...