How can links to external sources be updated without opening the file?

Copper Contributor

Dear team members.

Im a school teacher and was wondering about a way to keep my students informed about their tasks and grades. Therefore I´ve created an Excel sheet with the information of the whole group (my personal overview) and then I created a file for each student. The information in the student file is linked to the spaces of my general source file. 

My problem is that the data is only updated in the student file if I have it open. Ideally I only open my source file where I edit all the data and, without opening all the other sheets, the links are updated automatically. I´ve already followed various online advice (changing configuration of links and even trust center) but can´t make it happen. Does anyone have other ideas of what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
maybe with...
Name Manager: Range names made easy
Description

If you are in need of a utility to manage defined names in your Excel models, this one is a must-have. List all names in your active workbook. Filter them using 13 filters, e.g. "With external references", "With errors", Hidden, Visible. Show just names that contain a substring. Show just names unused in worksheet cells. Edit them in a simple dialog or make a list, edit the list and update all names in one go. Delete, hide, unhide selected names with a single mouse click.

https://www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of me. I makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

Dear @NikolinoDE,

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I was checking out the name manager you suggested, but I can´t see where it helps me here. Maybe you can give me an example how to use it?

I was looking for a way to overcome the error message of deactivated links:

FrauPhilipp_0-1596919243909.png

I believe that this is the reason why my students can´t see recent changes on Onedrive that I made in my class overview because those changes are also only reflected if I open each students file on my computer. Which is not my idea - to have all student files open at once in order for them to get updated immediately.

ich bin mir nicht sicher, aber probieren Sie unter "Diese Arbeitsmappe" folgende Code.
Damit werden die Melde fenster deaktiviert nicht der Link selbst.
--------------------------------------------
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

'Meldungen ausschalten
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

'Meldungen wieder einschalten
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub
------------------------------------------
Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.