How can I split within a single cell?

Copper Contributor

How can I split cell B5 but within the cell. See b6 as an example but i've just used spacebar.

No formulas for this one please. Needs to be something from the tool bar - if it exists.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 9.49.30 am.png

3 Replies
Are you wanting to split B5 in to two cells? In which case text to columns, Fixed Width with a divider placed between the characters.
If you're wanting to insert ". " between 1 & 2 then you're going to need formulas or macros.
Not two cells, my work has this spreadsheet and with previous entries made by others into the table on the sheet one of the columns of the table would split the information within the cell. But when I've made entries this is now not happening for some reason. This is important because it connects to a lookup function and so it's not finding the information it's supposed to and in return makes my job much harder.

@cheeseontoast101 You can mimic such behavior with a custom format 0\._______0 , but it will not change the underlying value. Note that the underscores in the above example should be entered as spaces!

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1654576960889.png

If this is not it, perhaps a VBA change event triggered the "transformation".