SOLVED

How can I change the series bar chart as I would like to be?

Copper Contributor

I have spreadsheet with a series of questions on the columns and as rows numbers between 1-5.

I would like to have a chart that has on the x-axis the questions, as ranges the the possible values (1-5 ) and as y-axis number of people that chose that value.

What I was able to do is to  make the column bar chart and have as x-axis the questions ( great!), but as ranges I have the data time in which the answer were recorded ( :( ) and as y-axis I have the number of people( great!).

This is what I would like to have ( strongly disagree= 1, disagree =2, undecided =3, etc..)

salvolannister_0-1594537864960.png

Please help D:

1 Reply
best response confirmed by salvolannister (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@salvolannister 

I recommend you reshape the data to allow more easy analysis of all questions on the same axis.

When working with survey data, it helps to include a respondent ID in your analysis. So, first add a column with a unique ID for each respondent. Call it RespondentID or something like that.

Select any cell in your data and use Data>Get & Transform Data>From Table/Range to create a query on your raw data.

In the Power Query Editor, hold down Ctrl and select both RespondentID and "Informazioni cronologiche" by clicking on their column headers.

Next, use Transform>Any Column>Unpivot columns>Unpivot other columns:

FlexYourDAta_0-1594585789658.png

You'll see that you now have one row per respondent/question/answer. You have two columns: Attribute and Value. To make it easier to understand, right-click each and rename them to Question and Response:

FlexYourDAta_1-1594585886685.png

Now use Home>Close&Load to put the data back into the workbook.

Now you can use Insert>Pivot Chart, then put Question in the Axis (Categories) area, Response in the Legend (Series) area and Count of RespondentID in the Values area.

FlexYourDAta_2-1594586468804.png

I filtered out questions 7, 55 and 61 since they didn't follow the same data domain as the others (1-5).

With the data in this format, it is also trivial to calculate the average score by question:

FlexYourDAta_3-1594586501942.png

or even create groups of questions and calculate statistics on those.

The original data is of course still useful for cross-tab analysis.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by salvolannister (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@salvolannister 

I recommend you reshape the data to allow more easy analysis of all questions on the same axis.

When working with survey data, it helps to include a respondent ID in your analysis. So, first add a column with a unique ID for each respondent. Call it RespondentID or something like that.

Select any cell in your data and use Data>Get & Transform Data>From Table/Range to create a query on your raw data.

In the Power Query Editor, hold down Ctrl and select both RespondentID and "Informazioni cronologiche" by clicking on their column headers.

Next, use Transform>Any Column>Unpivot columns>Unpivot other columns:

FlexYourDAta_0-1594585789658.png

You'll see that you now have one row per respondent/question/answer. You have two columns: Attribute and Value. To make it easier to understand, right-click each and rename them to Question and Response:

FlexYourDAta_1-1594585886685.png

Now use Home>Close&Load to put the data back into the workbook.

Now you can use Insert>Pivot Chart, then put Question in the Axis (Categories) area, Response in the Legend (Series) area and Count of RespondentID in the Values area.

FlexYourDAta_2-1594586468804.png

I filtered out questions 7, 55 and 61 since they didn't follow the same data domain as the others (1-5).

With the data in this format, it is also trivial to calculate the average score by question:

FlexYourDAta_3-1594586501942.png

or even create groups of questions and calculate statistics on those.

The original data is of course still useful for cross-tab analysis.

View solution in original post