Horizontal Scroll Wheel Useless in Excel?

Copper Contributor

I have just purchased a new mouse which, in addition to the standard scroll wheel, has a secondary wheel for horizontal scrolling. The horizontal scroll wheel works on most things so far, including on Word. However, the main reason I wanted it was to navigate large Excel sheets quickly but it doesn't work in Excel!! I've searched online for a solution to this, or a reason why it does not work, but have been unsuccessful! Does anyone know how to get it working? For reference, the mouse I bought is the Logitech MX Master 2S. Thanks in advance.

18 Replies

Did you find a fix?

Hello,

I found this solution to work for me:

Right-click on the status menu in Excel (bottom left corner of Excel window, normally says "READY") and de-select "Scroll Lock" option.

If that does not work they have a collection of other options at the website:

https://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/401681-cant-horizontally-scroll-via-mouse-wheel-excel-2...

Good luck!

@Ms_Guy99 FYI, deselecting any option from that menu only seems to remove the status view for that item in the status bar.  You would still need to turn on/off the Scroll Lock from your keyboard.

I had the same problem with same mouse model. I read somewhere that you should hold shift in and start scrolling and from there it seems to be working. I don't know why. @Lee Peverett 

@Lee Peverett  Same issue here but with an MX Anywhere 2S. In mouse settings, I selected application specific settings for the Excel app, then adjusted my horizontal scroll speed higher. This seemed to enable the functionality and I was then able to go back and set the scroll speed to my liking. It has not worked properly since I first got the mouse a year ago, although I noticed that I could scroll on certain worksheets that had freeze panes set. 

YMMV, because I have a the Logitech MX Ergo.

Try hovering the mouse over the horizontal scroll bar in excel, then using your side to side wheel.

Once I do this, the mouse wheel to horizontally scroll works everywhere in the spreadsheet.

This just goes to show you that when something isn't working, angrily flinging your mouse around the screen and clicking the mouse button harder does work! :)

I hope this helps you, sorry if it gives you false hope.

@AggieChris holyshoot this works. Thanks mate!

I'm almost going crazy. I thought it's something to do with the Windows. But after installing a brand new Windows (fresh install win 10, I was using win 7 upgrade before) and it keeps happening (only scroll once then it fails to respond), i thought it's a product defect.

Tempted to buy MX Master 3 but i'm affraid it will have the same shortcoming with the previous S2 that i'm using

Nice! I'm glad it helped!:) Spread the word of you see anyone else ask. I posted it to a couple of places.

@AggieChris 

For reference, I'm using a Logitech M720 Triathlon bluetooth mouse. Your method worked. How bizarre.

@AggieChris Nice! I will let the others know.

Sometimes it doesn't work though. When it doesn't, I alt+tab, use the horizontal scroll, and alt+tab back, and it works. So it has 2 workarounds that guaranteed work. Do you know why this happen? My friend has this exact same MX Master 2s and it works fine without these workarounds :(

@Valmighty I have the MX Master 3 and had the same issue which led me to this discussion posting. It must be a software issue. The hovering over the scroll bar and using the horizontal wheel fixed it for me as well.

Hi, can u explain who u are resolving that problem with ur me? I search too but not finding...thx
I'm having a similar issue with the Logitech MX Master 3. For me, the horizontal scroll generally works, however the vertical scroll only works on the first column. If I move the page horizontally at all the vertical scroll no longer works, regardless of if the "scroll lock off" is checked or if I hover over the scroll bar on the right.

I am running the Logitech Options+ software for the mouse.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Guessing most people have found some sort of work around, but I have used both the MX MS 2 & 3. The solution I believe is to download the Logitech Options app that comes with the mouse and ensure you have your mouse mapped the way you want per Application you use. 

What I found, was that although I had my side scroll set to Horizontal Scroll in Excel, I was opening a lot of spreadsheets in Google Chrome with Excel. So I changed my Chrome Mouse settings to Horizontal Scroll and it fixed. 

Works great now and hope it helps everyone else!

Hello @Lee Peverett,

Hello all,

I have this same problem too, and already searching for a very long time for a solution!! In all forums/Uservoices/TechCommunities i read, i see that MS does not come out with a(ny) feasable solution (or comment).

The big issue is: this worked very good (and so simple) in former Windows versions (just using Shift or Ctrl-Shift + scroll with a normal mouse up or down, couldn't be more simple, that was the perfect solution). 

I also (specially for this issue!) bought the Microsoft Arc mouse, but same issue, no horizontal scrolling in Excel, even with their own special horizontal scrolling mouse... mind-boggling... 

What is also very troubling (and mind-boggling) is that for some people the Shift (or Shift-Control) works with Horizontal scrolling in Excel with a regular mouse, and for others this is not possible... completely not logical ! And another thing is: on Mac completely no issue with horizontal scrolling with Apple mouse !!!! Try to get some logic in that.... MS-logic?.... I don't get it... And especially since so many people already wrote about this on all kinds of forums & communities....

I also found info here, but still no solution... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-how-to-scroll-horizontally/5f9fb0ae-467...

Is there somewhere any sensible solution or explanation why this is not working, and when is MS going to do something about this (since this worked before) ??!

Best regards, 

Nick

The solution I found that fixes it 100% of the time for me is to use the side scroll while hovering over the excel scroll bar area at the bottom right of the application. Once I do this the horizontal scroll starts working again when you hover over anywhere in excel as it should.

old Thread, but i had the same problem, this fixed it for me: 

change the settings for the side wheel in logitech options to something else and back to horizontal scroll. changed also the sensitivity to something else and back to original. 

solved it for me with the MX Master 3

@ had the same issues. Worked out that my spreadshhet had Freeze Panes; when unfreeze panes it worked