Highlighting duplicate cells adjacent to one another across multiple rows

Copper Contributor

Hi Folks,

I’m trying to highlight cells that share the same value and that are adjacent to one another, but copy this formula down to over 900 rows.

I have tried selecting all the cells and then clicking Conditional Formatting, New Rule, Use a formula to determine which cells to format.

Then in the ‘Edit the Rule Description:’ I have tried =$A$1=$B$1 and then have selected it to format the cell by highlighting an adjacent match.

However this only completes the formula for the first 2 cells (Row 1) in this case.

For example as a result, I would like cells A1 and B2 to be highlighted, and cells A5:A10 and B5:B10 also, and then the cells in between to be left blank so I know what cells are not sharing the same value as their adjacent neighbour cell.

I’m using a PC and Windows 10, with Office 365. Microsoft Home and Business 2016.

I’ve got over 900 lines to do on 4 spreadsheets and haven’t got the patience to go through each set of results manually.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

1 Reply

@Shippady Use =$A1=$B1 in stead. Then it shall work as desired. Note that empty cells are equal to zero. So A11: B12 will also be marked. If you don't want that, add another rule (should be the first one like =OR(ISBLANK($A1),ISBLANK($B1)) and check the box "Stop If True"