SOLVED

Hide rows/columns in 365 shared Excel-file - local setting

Copper Contributor

Hi,

In the new share of 365, most users use the auto-save functionality. This has an unwanted side-effect. When person A hides some rows or columns, all other users lose visibility on those rows/columns as well. They need to see it and unhide. Person A hides again, and so on...

The same goes for applying filters.

Is there a function to make hiding rows/columns or applying filters a local setting? It was possible in the old way of sharing Excel-files. But I don't find it in the new 365-way.

Thanks for your support.

Jonas

3 Replies
best response confirmed by JonasVH (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JonasVH 

For the files shared on Sharepoint / Onedrive each user may organize it's own Sheet View which allows to filter / sort data without affecting other users of the file. That is available for Excel Online and Excel for Win Desktop only Beta channel so far.

Hiding will affect all users, that doesn't work with Sheet View.

@Sergei Baklan 

Thanks for your answer. It's good that we will have a solution in the future.

I tried to find when this option will be rolled out to all users, but couldn't. Any idea when we will have this option available in the normal Excel?

Unfortunately, Excel online has little to no use for us, as the functionality is very limited.

@JonasVH 

I guess nobody knows, even MSFT, it depends on many things. I've seen nothing about licensing of that functionality - it could be available for all subscriptions or only for E3 and E5 or something else. Who knows.

Hope this summer we could expect for Current channel.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JonasVH (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JonasVH 

For the files shared on Sharepoint / Onedrive each user may organize it's own Sheet View which allows to filter / sort data without affecting other users of the file. That is available for Excel Online and Excel for Win Desktop only Beta channel so far.

Hiding will affect all users, that doesn't work with Sheet View.

View solution in original post