SOLVED

Helps with Countifs function

Copper Contributor

I need help with figuring out how to write a formula.  I have a spreadsheet with two columns containing data that I need to evaluate.  The first column contains two dozen different department names.  I want to search this column and if a row contains 1 of 5 specific departments I want to go to a second column that contains five rating scales (Strongly Agree, Agree, etc...), and if the row contain 2 specific rating scales I want to count it.  I need a formula that finds multiple criteria in one column, and for true statements, looks in another column for multiple criteria, and counts the occurrences.  

I've searched and tried sum(countfis, multiple countif,...nothing I've tried worked. Anyone have any ideas?  Thank you in advance for your help.  

4 Replies
kindly attach a sample file (with clear explanation) so people here can have a better view of what you need. Solutions could be faster this way.
thanks..

Thank you for your response.  I've uploaded an example.  On the second tab I've provided details of what I'm trying to do.  Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

best response confirmed by Vincent Vitale (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Vincent,

With two OR conditions you shall use columns conditional array in one case and rows array in another one, like

=SUM(COUNTIFS(Data!$A:$A,{"Commuter Operations","Facilities","FinOps","OPM/CHSA/COBRA","Vendor Management"},Data!$B:$B,{"Strongly Agree";"Agree"}))

More about that is here https://exceljet.net/formula/countifs-with-multiple-criteria-and-or-logic

Attcahed

Thank you!  This solved my problem.  I really appreciate your help. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vincent Vitale (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Vincent,

With two OR conditions you shall use columns conditional array in one case and rows array in another one, like

=SUM(COUNTIFS(Data!$A:$A,{"Commuter Operations","Facilities","FinOps","OPM/CHSA/COBRA","Vendor Management"},Data!$B:$B,{"Strongly Agree";"Agree"}))

More about that is here https://exceljet.net/formula/countifs-with-multiple-criteria-and-or-logic

Attcahed

View solution in original post