Help with corrupt Excel file

Copper Contributor

Hi All, I have a corrupt excel file and it is super improtant as its my accounting sheet.

It has the error "cannot open the file because the file format or extension  is not valid. verify that the file has not become corrupted and the file extension matches the format of the file"

I have tried recovering which has failed.

I have tried all in this - 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repair-a-corrupted-workbook-153a45f4-6cab-44b1-93ca-801dd...

Also failed.

Is there anything else I can do ?

Thanks

4 Replies
I found this for you

It usually indicates the file is not compatible with the Excel version of the file that has come corrupt or damaged. Here, we will show you all the possible solutions, and you can try these until your issue is fixed. Before you follow the solutions, check if Excel is working normally.

Step 1. Press Windows+R keys, type excel.exe /safe, and click "OK". Loading Excel without templates and add-ins allows you to see if the program works as it should or if it is corrupted.

Step 2. If Excel opens normally, check for any add-ins that are causing problems in Excel. Disable the add-ins and click on the "OK" button. Then, restart Excel to check if the problem is fixed. If not, move on to the fixes below.

So, if it still doesnt work, try the possible solutions in the link below.
https://www.easeus.com/amp/file-recovery/excel-cannot-open-the-file.html

@BeyK40  Thanks but none of that worked and I dont have the money to pay for the recovery tool which may or may not work anyway.

@Rake722 

A few more things to try:

1. Open the workbook on another computer.  If it opens, save as and change the name. Try on original computer.

2. Open in Excel web app.  Upload to OneDrive and attempt to open. If the workbook opens, you may download an offline copy.

3.  If all else fails, you may re-name the file to be .zip and then open the .zip package to extract the sheets. 

Tried and didnt work Patrick