Help with copying word data to match excel format

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am trying to find a way that I can copy data from a word file and have it match the layout setup in the excel file I am pasting to all at one time. So far I have used paste transpose, but it still is causing me to select one persons data to paste at a time otherwise all of the data is moved from a column into a single row. I want it where the data for one person will fill in the columns in a certain row in excel and then automatically move the next set of data to the next row. Is this possible to do?

3 Replies
In Excel, select the data you want to copy, and then press Ctrl+C. Open the other Office program, click where you want to paste the data, and then press Ctrl+V. Click Paste Options next to the data, and choose how you want to paste it. Keep Source Formatting This keeps the data formatting exactly as is.

@Lewis-H  thank you but that is the opposite of what I am trying to do. Here are example files, I am trying to copy the info in word and paste it to excel making the way the data is laid out look like it does in excel automatically. 

@CollinHelpdesk If you are on a recent version of Excel and if your data is really as structured as your example suggests (i.e. NAME, Filed1, Field2, Field3, NAME Filed1, Field2, Field3, etc.) perhaps the attached example will work for you. First copy the list from Word in a separate tab and then use TRANSPOSE and INDIRECT to transpose every group of four rows into four columns. I used two named formulae that calculate the start and end rows for each record "from Word", based on the current row number in "Toby's List" so the final formula becomes easier to read.