SOLVED

Help with an Excel problem. Link files automatically

Copper Contributor

Hello I have an excel document that is several thousand rows long. Each row has a unique name. That name corresponds with a file located in a share drive. I want to know if its possible to automatically create a hyperlink to said files based on the cell values. The user will enter into a cell, a name. That name will than ideally display a hyperlink to the word document.  For example if the user enters the letter A, it should open document A , stored on the shared drive. I am a complete newbie so please dumb it down for me. Thank you. Currently my professor told me to manually create the hyperlink. I have done roughly 400 but there has to be a better way.  Thank you. 

4 Replies

@Excelnewbie1600 

I'd use two columns: one with the file names and another with the hyperlinks:S1114.png

Thank you! You saved me probably a semester worth of manually linking. The links were all created but the word document does not open like the manual one do. Do you know why that may be?
best response confirmed by Excelnewbie1600 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Excelnewbie1600 

Make sure that the resulting path+filename is correct. I assumed that column A will contain the document name without the extension .docx, so the formula adds it.

If column A already contains the extension, remove   &".docx"   from the formula.

Never-mind it worked perfectly. I just had to restart excel. Thank you again.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Excelnewbie1600 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Excelnewbie1600 

Make sure that the resulting path+filename is correct. I assumed that column A will contain the document name without the extension .docx, so the formula adds it.

If column A already contains the extension, remove   &".docx"   from the formula.

View solution in original post