HELP! Using Solver

Copper Contributor

Please look at attachment and help me with using solver, I've only done it once and not sure how to work it for the below scenario. It is on sheet called "Solutions to New Store Locations"

The objective is to maximise the total number of ‘serviceable potential customers’ you identified in
Row 42.

For the Solver feature’s ‘variable cells’ area, use the area highlighted in yellow on this sheet (and set
to all 0s) in the template. These yellow cells (variables) are binary (0 or 1) and are used to assign
stores to suburbs. That is, if there is a ‘1’ in this cell, then a store is to be located in that suburb.
You will need to use the Simplex LP Solving Method.

The key constraints are that the yellow cells are binary (i.e. 0 or 1), and there must be exactly 4 stores
assigned in total (see Row 42) – there cannot be 5 or more stores and there cannot be 3 or fewer
stores. With this information you can run the Solver and obtain your own solution of where to locate
stores for the maximum serviceable potential customers.

2 Replies

@dekiv 

The formula in C42 should be =SUMIF(B4:B40,1,C4:C40) since you only want to include stores that have a 1 in column B.

The constraints should be:

B4:B40 is integer

B4:B40 is greater than or equal to 0

B4:B40 is less than or equal to 1

B42 should be equal to 4 (exactly 4 stores)

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank you so much! That seems to work.