Help! Linking Tables...

Copper Contributor

I'm not quite sure what the best way is to accomplish what I want...

Every month, I download a CVS file from our billing program. I then adjust the data to a format I want, and save it to a XLSX file (call it XLSX 1). Within the XLSX file is a second worksheet that further adjusts the data (first and last name separate, determining number of days account is overdue, etc). From this worksheet, I would like to link 4 tables, each in a separate worksheet, but all in the same workbook (call this one XLSX 2). Every time I set XLSX 2 with linked tables (through Query Wizard), everything works great, until I save. Once I save, I seem to lose all the connections. The whole point is that if I change something in XLSX 1, it automatically and continuously updates XLSX 2. I'm so lost... Any help or suggestions would be great, thank you!!

1 Reply

Hi @Kylyn84,

if you're using Office 365, how do you activate the query wizard? That is a tool for much older versions of Excel.

In Excel for Office 365 you can use the "Get Data" command in the Data ribbon. That uses Power Query. You can connect to the other workbook and create the different queries that load the data into different sheets.

Power Query is also available for Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 as a free add-in. It's built into Excel 2016 and later versions and replaces the legacy query tools.