Help in producing a line chart using cell colours

Copper Contributor

Hi guys i hope you can help. Ive tried to find the answer in the forum. And ive tried to produce the chart myself...with no luck!

I have an excel sheet which has been split into the days of the month. Each day is represented by a cell which is filled in with 1 of 4 different colours.  Each colour represents how i was feeling on that day (eg Dark Green Great, Light Green Good, Orange Ok, Red Not good).

how can i translate that data into a line chart where Dark Green would be shown as 1 and Red as 4 on the y axis. And the x axis will show the days/date.

In other words i can see how my feeling are moving through the days by a line chart?

I think that made sense....?

Any questions please ask.

Thanks

2 Replies

@falangmicrosoft 

The easiest solution would be to enter a number in the range 1 to 4 in the cells, and to use Conditional Formatting to apply a fill colour depending on the value entered.

You can then use the numbers to create the chart.

Otherwise, you'd have to use a custom VBA function to return a number associated with the colour. That's much more work!

I am not sure if I replied to you to say thank you very much for your prompt response. I do apologise and thank you very much very helpful