Help: Excel automatically converts numbers into Dates

Copper Contributor

Hello, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem:

I have data for temperatures in an excel table, but somehow the numbers are being converted into dates (e.g. 25,5 degree Celsius will be converted into May 25th, so everytime there was half a degree "____,5", excel interprets this as a data and thinks it must be in May). 

I alreasy tried to format it as numbers (using CONTROL +1), but then the cells that were misinterpreted as days do still not get corrected but are now all displayed as the same long random number (e.g. 44345). 

So something that is wrongfully diplayed as the 29th of May, and that is supposed to be a temperature in degrees celsius (likely 29,5), then becomes a weird number such as 44345. All cells that have a round number do not get converted to a date in May. But if I try to reformat the weird cells as "standard" or as "numbers" all of the cells that were wrong all become the same 5-digit number. 

Does anybody have an idea why this is happening and how I could display the temperatures? That would really help me a lot and make my life easier as correcting it manually would take too long. 

Thank you for your help!

1 Reply

@Isabelle125 

What is the Short Date format on your computer? Does it happen to use comma to separate day, month and year?