HELP! Data sorting for a non-profit!

Copper Contributor

Hi there!
I'm working on sorting through client data for a social work non-profit- and I'm wondering if there's a way to make each client's data expandable and editable!

I've attached a sample grouping with fake client names (The initials in coloumn A). I'm wondering if there's a way to group the client's by name and for the data to be expandable. I'm wondering if there's a way to make it editable as new data is added and tracked! 

The top row is all different categories that we track for each client. 

I've tried using grouping, but I find the plus/minus signs get really confusing with each client and data can get lost- but I might be doing this wrong... maybe pivot tables could work?

I would REALLY appreciate any and all advice on this- I'm really not fluent in excel but I was given this task! ! SOS!!

1 Reply

@theupsideofdown 

You wrote: I've tried using grouping, but I find the plus/minus signs get really confusing with each client and data can get lost-but I might be doing this wrong... maybe pivot tables could work?

Have you tried the Pivot Table? It would work as a very helpful summary of counts, one row per client, one column per tracked category.

Quite frankly, the sample data set you posted is strange to the uninitiated, containing only the number 1 in the many cells under each category. Is that really what's in those columns? What does it represent?

The limitation of the Pivot Table is that it's not, itself, usually meant to be edited; instead, it's an output reporting tool, providing a great summary of whatever input or raw data you have.

So maybe we need to concentrate first on making sure the raw data are clear and intelligible, as there are other ways to summarize. If I were sitting down with you face-to-face, I'd begin by asking for a lot more clarity on what those rows of 1s represent.