Header/Footer on odd/even pages in single, 3-page worksheet change when printing workbook

Copper Contributor

I'm using Windows 10, and either Excel 2016 or Office 365 - not sure & couldn't find the info. 

I have a Workbook with multiple worksheets that comprise the appendices of a Employee Manual, mostly forms used as part of employee duties. Most of the worksheets are single pages, but a few have more than 2 pages, and that's when the page numbering gets to be a huge issue. 

Since the docs in this file will be combined (after printing) with other pages created in Word, I have the overall "Manual" pages entered by hand on each page, in the right hand section of the footers. 

In the middle section of the footers, I have the tab name. For those sheets that have multiple pages, beneath the tab name, I have "Page # of Page #s" listed. 

When I have 3 pages in the sheet, I select the option for "different first page" as well as "odd/even pages". It then treats the first page as a first page, the 2nd as an "Even" page and the 3rd as an "Odd" page. But that's ONLY WHEN I'm printing that individual worksheet. 

The problem is: when I print ALL Sheets in the Workbook, a couple of my 3+ page worksheets land so that their first page is an Even page number. In this case, Excel ignores the instructions for that Sheet's First page, and instead applies the footer for an EVEN page. Then the next gets the ODD page footer, and the 3rd gets the EVEN page footer again. 

Therefore, the automatic page # of #s  gives the number the page is in the whole Workbook, and the total # of workbook pages. 

So rather than the first page reading: "Page 1 of 4" | Section V: Page 23"
The 1st page will read "Page 8 of 15 | Section V: Page 25"
The 2nd page will read: "Page 9 of 15" | Section V: Page 24"
The 3rd page will read: "Page 10 of 15" | Section V: Page 25"
The 4th page will read: "Page 11 of 15" | Section V: Page 24"

So, both automatic numbering and manual numbering are completely messed up. 

The "first page" of the worksheet is completely ignored, but the automatic numbering simply continues the numbers from the previous worksheets. The manual numbering, however, uses the numbers entered on either the EVEN or the ODD pages, which results in them being out of order and duplicated. 

"Section V: Page 23" is completely skipped, and the alternating pages end up having the same number page in the "Manual page numbers section". 

It would be a PITA, but I could break the worksheet out into its own workbook so that the automatic page numbering would print correctly, or type out each of those page numbers by hand - but I would still have the problem of the 4th page wanting to revert to the "EVEN" page footer rather than having a footer of its own. 

So - If you've followed me so far - is this hopeless?
Is there any way to create individual footers for each page of a 4+ page worksheet that will print AS FORMATTED when being printed as part of the whole workbook?

I find it difficult to believe that this isn't a scenario MS Devs haven't considered when creating the functionality of this ubiquitous program - but... so far, all I can find are posts about other people with similar, but not identical problems. 

0 Replies