Grouping in Excel - Number being Counted repeatedly

Copper Contributor

Hello Experts, 

I have a data set, in which unique items have been sold at different discount percentages. 

I want to know in which bracket of discount how many items are there for offering. So when I group by discount and count items, I am facing an error where the grouping is being counted again. 

For example, If am grouping at the intervals of 10 then my data is reflecting like this

0-10% - 50 items

10- 20% - 80 items

20-20% - 92 items 

whereas it should be 

0-9% - X items 

10-19% - Y items 

20-19% - Z items 

Decimals are not in percentages in my worksheet. 

PLease help me out here. 

Thanks 

5 Replies

@Pritu650 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar? Alternatively, you can attach it to a private message to me. Thanks in advance.

@Pritu650 

I guess we speak about grouping in PivotTable. Such grouping is by design and it's not overlapping of ranges. Just

0 - 10% means ( >= 0 and <= 10% )

10% - 20% means ( > 10% and <= 20% )

20% - 30% means ( > 20% and <= 30% )

etc

First bin includes first number of the range, next bins take all what is greater of first number (and not more than the second one)

Thank you for the revert.
@Sergei, but this kind of pattern is not getting reflected in other worksheets. Only in a particular sheets with some data points grouping in being overlapped. So curious to know why and how this can be fixed, but I get your point. Thank you again.

@Pritu650 

As @Sergei Baklan remarked, there is no overlap in the counts: the total 9297 is correct.

Excel has to write 0.1-0.2 and 0.2-0.3 because these are numbers with decimals, not whole numbers.

I don't think it is possible to make Excel display the groups as percentages 10%-20% etc.

You'd have to create your own list with COUNTIFS formulas for that.