Golf Handicap spreadsheet, fixing cells

Copper Contributor

I have set up a golf handicap spreadsheet for 12 people in my playing group that calculates the best 8 scores from a list of 12 then averages them out to create a playing handicap.  When I insert new scores the calculator drops a cell, i.e. when working on the sum of lines 2 to 21 it changes to 3 to 22.  The same players do not play each week so I cannot drag all 12 lines down. 

11 Replies
Hola, no sé que es lo que quieres.
Si quieres manda el excel, o explica un poco que es lo que quieres que haga el excel.
Si no quieres que al arrastrar baje una celda, por las direcciones de las celdas precedidas por $

en vez de poner A2:A21, pon $A$2:$A$21.
No sé si es esto lo que quieres
Unfortunately when I insert in line C5 for example with a new score the total column then ignores that cell, even if the $ is included. The cells are generally '=C5-724' through to '=C24-72' with the calculation showing '=AVERAGE(SMALL($C5:$C24,ROW($1:$8)))'.

@Dave_Moyse 

=AVERAGE(SMALL(INDIRECT("C5:C"&MAX(IF(C:C<>"",ROW(C:C)))),ROW(1:8)))

Is the attached example similar to what you want to do? Enter the formula with ctrl+shift+enter if you don't work with Office365 or 2021.

In the example the formula remains in cell E9 and additional scores of the 12 players can be entered in columns A, B and C.

@Dave_Moyse 

Si lo he entendido bien, tu problema es que si insertas nuevas puntuaciones, estas no se actualizan en la formula.
Lo mejor es que crees una Tabla. Selecciona desde el encabezado hasta el ultimo dato que tengas y haces click en MENU INSERTAR-TABLA, le pones un nombre y a partir de ahora, en las formulas, haces referencia a la tabla y al encabezado de cada columna.
Ejemplo si tu tabla se llama T_Datos y los encabezados de las Columnas de esa tabla son FECHA - NOMBRE - PUNTUACION.
en la formula tendrás que sustituir $C 5:$ 24 por T_Datos[PUNTUACION], así cuando agregues otro dato esta formula lo tendrá en cuenta.

Te mando un excel de ejemplo para ver si es algo asi lo que quieres

Pon nuevos datos en la celda A18, para ver como afecta a las otras tablas.

Un saludo

@OliverScheurich

Te devuelvo tu excel, fijate como se haría si en vez de utilizar rangos de celdas, utilizas nombres de tablas.

te he dejado tu formula y al lado he puesto la misma con el nombre de la tabla.

Inserta nuevos datos para ver como cambia el resumen.

Un saludo 

@Elda_Vinci 

Very good solution, thank you. With the named ranges can we as well calculate the average of the best 8 results of the last 12 scores? The formula with cell ranges and the expected result is in cell E18 in the attached file.

@OliverScheurich 

Te devuelvo el excel,

te he puesto en la celda J1 la formula que saca el promedio de los 8 MAYORES resultados de los últimos 12 partidos

te he puesto en la celda J2 la formula que saca el promedio de los 8 MENORES resultados de los últimos 12 partidos

en la celda L1 te he puesto una formula que saca los 12 últimos partidos.

espero que te sirva

Thanks, I want to always show 12 players and their 20 last scores. This example is quite sophisticated, I don't know how I could use it to suit my own purpose.

@Dave_Moyse 

You can try the attached file. It gives an overview of each players last 20 scores and the average of the best 8 scores from the last 20 rounds.

Thank you for your effort but the sheet I had created already accomplished this. Like your own when I make space for a new score by dragging the old cells right it changes the calculation. and ignores the new number input. On your sheet if I put a new score in F6 the sum in F20 will just refer to g6-y6.

To fix your golf handicap spreadsheet, use absolute cell references. In the formula for calculating the best 8 scores, use $A$2:$A$13 (assuming player names are in column A), and when averaging, use $B$2:$B$13 for handicaps. This way, when you insert new scores, the formula won't shift, ensuring accurate calculations regardless of varying player participation.