@gmt in hyper link

Copper Contributor

Hi

I'm an IT manager  and one of my clients has an excel issue 

Some of his hyper links target got all massed up and has @gmt in them.
like that": @GMT-2020.10.12-04.00.05\הזמנות,%20תעודות%20משלוח%202020\10163.pdf

( sorry for the hebrew)

now when he tries to open one of them by pressing the link' he gets an error saying: unable to open attached file.
I've looked all over google but didn't find a solution for that.
Any ideas?

Tnx a lot 

9 Replies

@asicohen 

The translation makes no sense to me, the software is probably not yet mature enough to understand idioms.

Whatever... with your permission, if I can recommend you, add a MS Excel file (without sensitive data) to your project.

Explain your plans in relation to this file. So you can get a solution that is tailored to your needs much faster.

At the same time, it is much easier for someone who wants to help to understand the subject.

A win-win situation for everyone.

Please no Picture, even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases.

* Add a MS Excel file (without sensitive data) to your project. Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@asicohen 

Anyway, until you have all the data ready, I'll send you this approach as well as possible.

Maybe it fits with that.

A possibility:

Tools>

Options>

General>

Web Options>

Files Deactivate the option "Update links when saving".

Or is it an Excel file with hyperlinks located on a mapped drive that different users should access?

Nikolino

@asicohen 

As variant a) the client updated on Excel which supports dynamic arrays (he may don't know about that if is on 365 subscription) and b) hyperlinks are created by and/or used in some formulas. With shifting on dynamic arrays Excel adds implicit intersection character "@"  if it is not sure you are working with array or single value.

Straightforward solution is to manually remove all "@". But better to correct formulas. 

Again, that's only a variant, small sample file with only few records could help.

@NikolinoDE 

Hi

Thank you for your answer.

yes this excel file is used by 2 different users and is located on a server.

will your solution  :" 

A possibility:

Tools>

Options>

General>

Web Options>

Files Deactivate the option "Update links when saving".

still works.

@NikolinoDE 

Just to make sure I understand.

add an empty excel file to the problematic one, delete all sensetive data from the rest of the workbook and attach it here?

Excel Version and Server Version?

@NikolinoDE 

Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard x64

office 365 business standard

If the problem relates to a specific sheet, then it is very useful to upload this file (without sensitive data, please delete). If it refers to several worksheets, it is useful to describe whether this happens in a special folder or if it happens to all worksheets / workbooks.
However, the more precise information you have, the more precise answer you can expect.

But as I said, a first step would be to let us know what excel version you / the customer is using and the operating system.

Nikolino
To be sure, it is correct (as far as I could understand it from the translation) because all saved Excel workbooks can be seen like this "@ GMT-2020.10.12-04.00.05,% 20-% 20-% 202020-10163. pdf "in the server?
... and you can't open it?
Is this only for files that you have placed on the server or only files that are shared with other users?

As you yourself know, if you cannot see or understand the surroundings of the problem, a lot of questions arise.

Thank you for your patience and time.

Nikolino