SOLVED

Gantt chart - Pull start/end dates

Copper Contributor

I am trying to find a way to import Gantt charts from excel into Monday.com so that I can have the tasks and date ranges. I am trying to find a way (formula/programming) so that for each row I can pull the start date (first green cell for the row) and end date (first cell after green minus 3 days or last green cell plus 4 days to capture Friday being the last day for the project) from the headers. I have no idea if this is possible or how I would go about doing this. I am including a picture of what I am talking about. I have manually entered the date ranges in column V (preferred) or the start and end dates in separate columns X&Y. This is what I am trying to achieve.

Can anyone help?

lvircks_0-1594697026393.png

3 Replies

bump

best response confirmed by lvircks (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lvircks 

This will be easier if you have some values in the colored cells.

So, first select the range that contains the colored cells, then use Ctrl+H to find and replace blank green cells with green cells containing a 1. Like this:

OwenPrice_0-1594743745474.png

(p.s. I had no idea until today that this was even possible, so TIL I guess!)

After that, you can use XLOOKUP using the default first-to-last search to return the start date:

=XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"")

This will look in cells B2 to O2 for a 1 and return the value from row 1 in the same column (i.e. the week commencing date).

And using a last-to-first search to return the end week, then add 4 to get the Friday of that week:

=XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"",0,-1)+4

This will look backwards from cell O2 to B2 for the first 1 it finds and likewise return the week commencing date from row 1, then add 4 to that.

OwenPrice_0-1594744216468.png

Please see attached example.

If you want to create a single column with the date range, you can use this:

=TEXT(XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,""),"m/dd")&"-"&TEXT(XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"",0,-1)+4,"m/dd")

@OwenPrice  Perfect! Thank you so much. And I'm glad you were able to learn something, too :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by lvircks (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@lvircks 

This will be easier if you have some values in the colored cells.

So, first select the range that contains the colored cells, then use Ctrl+H to find and replace blank green cells with green cells containing a 1. Like this:

OwenPrice_0-1594743745474.png

(p.s. I had no idea until today that this was even possible, so TIL I guess!)

After that, you can use XLOOKUP using the default first-to-last search to return the start date:

=XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"")

This will look in cells B2 to O2 for a 1 and return the value from row 1 in the same column (i.e. the week commencing date).

And using a last-to-first search to return the end week, then add 4 to get the Friday of that week:

=XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"",0,-1)+4

This will look backwards from cell O2 to B2 for the first 1 it finds and likewise return the week commencing date from row 1, then add 4 to that.

OwenPrice_0-1594744216468.png

Please see attached example.

If you want to create a single column with the date range, you can use this:

=TEXT(XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,""),"m/dd")&"-"&TEXT(XLOOKUP(1,$B2:$O2,$B$1:$O$1,"",0,-1)+4,"m/dd")

View solution in original post