Fully referencing columns from another formatted table in a table

Copper Contributor

I'm looking to use the sort and self-updating feature of tables to deal with some data within an already formatted table, but I am unsure of how to make it such that the table assisting in sorting picks specific columns and fully references them. Is there any way to achieve this or does Excel just not work that way?

2 Replies

@srfl0 

Sort data in a table

Excel for Microsoft 365 Excel 2021 Excel 2019 Excel 2016 Excel 2013 Excel 2010 Excel 2007

Sorting is one of the most common tools for data management. In Excel, you can sort your table by one or more columns, by ascending or descending order, or do a custom sort.

SORTBY function

Excel for Microsoft 365 Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac Excel for the web Excel 2021 Excel 2021 for Mac Excel for iPad Excel for iPhone Excel for Android tablets Excel for Android phones

The SORTBY function sorts the contents of a range or array based on the values in a corresponding range or array.

Sorry for the late response, but for the first link, it's not really what I want in that I can't arrange the columns (my main aim with cherrypicking columns), and for the second link, it just doesn't work since tables cannot have array formulae because it will result in spill errors. If you know of workarounds for what I am aiming to do, or if you can enlighten me on whether I am wrong with these understandings it will help immensely.

Thank you for your time.