SOLVED

Fullstops in a formula

Copper Contributor

Hi friends out there,

May I ask a quick excel question? When I click on a excel cell in a workbook, I see in the formula "R24*(1+Input.Assumpt.OpEx.Growth)" Do you know what the full stops mean? And how do I usually use them when I write formula? Thanks.

4 Replies

@davidcaijinhang I suspect the the "Input.Assumpt.OpEx.Growth" part is a Named Range, probably used to refer to a cell reference that should remain static (i.e. an absolute reference), similar to using a reference like $B$10. The points are allowed when you define a Named Range but have no particular meaning.

best response confirmed by davidcaijinhang (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@davidcaijinhang 

Input.Assumpt.OpEx.Growth is probably a defined name that either refers to a cell, or to a value or formula.

You can create such a name by clicking Define Name in the Defined Names group of the Formulas tab of the ribbon:

S0091.png

Defined names can be used to make it easier to understand what a formula does. A formula such as

=Price+Tax

is clearer than

=A3+D3

Thanks, may I ask how you use the "points" to define a Named Range? I've familiar with relative reference and absolute reference but don't have any experience using "points" to define a Named Range.
Very helpful! Thanks.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by davidcaijinhang (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@davidcaijinhang 

Input.Assumpt.OpEx.Growth is probably a defined name that either refers to a cell, or to a value or formula.

You can create such a name by clicking Define Name in the Defined Names group of the Formulas tab of the ribbon:

S0091.png

Defined names can be used to make it easier to understand what a formula does. A formula such as

=Price+Tax

is clearer than

=A3+D3

View solution in original post