SOLVED

Freezing multiple rows

Copper Contributor

I just need to freeze the top 3 rows in a spreadsheet. Easy: select the 4th row, click 'Freeze Panes' and choose the 'Freeze rows' option. Except that the option isn't there - the only option offered is to freeze the top row.

I am using Office 365, so my Excel is a current version. And I am working in Normal View. So I don't understand why I cannot freeze multiple rows any more!

freeze_panes.jpg

19 Replies

Unfreeze the rows/columns. Then if you want to freeze more than the top and more than the first column, go to the cell below the row you want to freeze and after the column you want to freeze and the select Freezes panes.

freezerowsandcolumns.png

best response confirmed by David_Townsend_Jones (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much. I've used Excel for more than 20 years and I'm pretty sure this method is new - or, at least, newish. But it's great to find out there really is a way. Thank you for pointing the way.

@Tanya Denton  That response works fine if you want to freeze rows and columns.  But I can't find any way to freeze a specific row, no columns.  I use data sheets with headings on the second row and I need them visible when I scroll down.  Used to be so easy in old Office.  Please help me as this is crucial in my work.  thanks!

@brigsby 

Just select cell A3 and select Window, Freeze Panes. Then, row 1 and 2 will be frozen but no columns. Has been like that for many years.

@Riny_van_Eekelen  I had tried that but somehow it didn't work.  But now it does!  Thanks so much for confirming that!  (this is my first year using Office 365, so adapting to more sophisticated program.)

@Tanya Denton 

this doesn't work on my 365.

that doesn't work in y 365. @Riny_van_Eekelen 

@dennisdugan Not sure why it doesn't work for you. Has worked like that for decades. Also on MS365.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 20.23.37.pngScreenshot 2020-12-19 at 20.24.07.png

Note: Screenshots taken on a Mac, but it's similar on a PC.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

I have used excel for well over 40 years and I am advanced in excel and I use to be able to freeze what ever columns and rows I wanted and with my office 365 I have not been able to....I really think this needs a 2nd look at fixing the problem.  My 365 will ONLY freeze the 1st row and that is a real problem for me.   Can you take a 2nd look please.

Thank you,  Patty

@aaaaccountingnet Don't really know how to help you, as I can't replicate the problem.

I was having major problems too, but I just worked it out!  @aaaaccountingnet.  You only need to select one cell below the row and after the columns eg.  I want A-C columns to stay, and 1-2 rows to stay.  I first of all Unfreeze everything, then select D3 and Freeze frame.  This worked thank goodness!

I tried similar to this before, but selected the last line (which was the second in my case) to freeze. So it always freezed the first line, which was annoying. Didn't think about selecting the third line and freeze all above this.

In this case, I like the Google way better: there are 2 thick lines on the top left, where I can easily drag the frozen header lines. Pretty easy and intuitive.
Brilliant, Thanks

@David_Townsend_Jones If anyof you is still facing hte issue, here is the tricke. Go to view, and change teh layout to page layout and then revert back again. Now you will see the option Freeze panes.

@aaaaccountingnet 

The trick is that if you want to select multiple ROWS only, you need to go to the row beneath those you wish to freeze. Ex. If you want to freeze rows 1 and 2, then go to A3 (not any other column) and select the first option, which is to freeze both rows and columns (NOT just rows, as one would logically think to be correct). Since you are in A3, there are no columns to the left to freeze, and then rows 1 and 2 will be frozen. 

Best of luck to all!

@aaaaccountingnet this is very late, but I have found a way to freeze multiple rows of columns. If you hide all the rows up to the one you want to freeze, and then do freeze top row, when you unhide these rows they will all be frozen :)

Honestly this should be the top answer. Simple, easy, and strait forward.

The following works for me.

1. Unfreeze Panes (View ribbon).

2. Select the entire row BELOW the last row you want frozen.

3. Freeze Panes (NOT Freeze Top Row).

done.

@cmccurdy 

Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by David_Townsend_Jones (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much. I've used Excel for more than 20 years and I'm pretty sure this method is new - or, at least, newish. But it's great to find out there really is a way. Thank you for pointing the way.

View solution in original post