Freezing a worksheet that contains both summary and detail information

Copper Contributor

I'm looking to do the following but having difficulties trying to see if excel will do this or not

In the same worksheet - I have summary information in columns A-J that I want to keep static (say rows 1-25) and be able to scroll the source data that is being summarized, which is in columns K-Z (say rows 1-500)

Is there anyway to freeze / split the information so that I don't have to create multiple windows or split the information up among multiple worksheets.

I'm not interested in work-arounds. I know a dozen workarounds to the problem none of which directly answers my question.

I want to know if it can be done

a) in a single worksheet;

b) using a single instance of excel;

c) without having to create multiple "new window" instances

d) without having to rearrange my information putting the summary information over top the detail information

Thanks

1 Reply

@knomaze 

Have you tried under the Window menu, the methods under the words "Split" and "Freeze"?

They do different things, but seem to be what you're looking for. HOWEVER, [let me continue this "however" below....]

mathetes_0-1607709444501.png

However.........If you're talking of freezing a summary of 25 rows at the top of the screen, then you're almost filling the screen with that to begin with. Which starts to suggest you'd be better off with a separate "Dashboard" or "Summary" screen to begin with. Why are you so resistant to that, if I might ask? Usually the freeze and split options are employed to keep headers and maybe a few other reference cells visible while scrolling down a large sheet, but rarely is it productive to freeze 25 rows.....