SOLVED

FORMULAS AND FUNCTIONS

Copper Contributor

HI I WANT TO TAKE A LIST OF THINGS IN COLUMN A AND SUBTRACT FROM THEM THE LIST OF THINGS IN COLUMN B AND PUT THE LIST IN COLUMN C. THE THINGS IN THE LISTS ARE NOT NUMBERS THEY ARE ITEMS. HELP!!

5 Replies

@NALINLE 

With your permission, if I may recommend, provide more information.

You'll get a quicker and more accurate answer, and those who want to help don't have to invest time guessing the problem.

What I recommend: Always inform about your Excel version, operating system, storage medium/hard drive, OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.).

If possible, add a file (without sensitive data) and use this file to describe your project step by step, or add photos with the appropriate description.

Don't forget that not every Excel user has a clue about every job and that what you see he can't see.

In this link you will find some more information about it:

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Can you use SUBSTITUTE()? so =SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"") and up to you if you want to replace every case or add a parameter like 1 to only replace the first case.
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@NALINLE 

=FILTER($A$2:$A$15,COUNTIF($B$2:$B$15,$A$2:$A$15)=0)

Do you want to return items that are in column A and not in column B? 

YES! THANK YOU!
OK SO ILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT IM DOING. sorry im not screaming. i have a list of shipping containers that are in my companies yard today. and a list that were in the yard yestarday. since the list was made yesterday some came and some left, which results in the list today. however i need to know exactly which spacific ones came and which ones left. so i need to subtract todays list from yesterdays list, then i need to subtract yesterdays list from todays list
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@NALINLE 

=FILTER($A$2:$A$15,COUNTIF($B$2:$B$15,$A$2:$A$15)=0)

Do you want to return items that are in column A and not in column B? 

View solution in original post