Formula variations linked to a dropdown list

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to this community. I'm working on a budget analysis model for new academic programs. I am currently using multiple excel files depending on the type of program I am working with. I would like to combine all those files in one, but I need to apply different calculation parameters based on the type of program, and it's been difficult to do so without creating a high number of sheets. 

So, for now, I've created a dropdown list in the first sheet in which the user can choose the type of program he is working with. I would then like for the preset calculations in the other sheets to change according to the program selected.

For example, if you choose program A in the dropdown list in sheet 1, the formula in cell B10 sheet 2 would be "=SUM(A1:H1)*2". But if you choose program B in the dropdown list in sheet 1, the formula in the same cell (B10) would be "=SUM(A1:H1)*5". This is one example, but I need to do so for a large number of calculation/parameters.

In summary, how can I have different formulas change automatically in multiple cells on Sheet 2 based on a dropdown list in sheet 1?

Thank you for your help,

Karelle

3 Replies

@karelle167 Perhaps the attached (extremely) simplified example helps you create your schedule. If not, you might want to upload an example of what you are working on.

@karelle167 

@Riny_van_Eekelen  has given you, as he said, an extremely simplified example of how a table can be used to vary those parameters based on some descriptor or label for the type of program in question.

You're to be commended for desiring to make these all manageable in one basic database (a fancy word for "file"). At the same time, while it can make things easier to see at a higher level to have them all combined, it is important to think through all the parameters, all of the consistencies between the various programs as well as the differences.  And then a table such as @Riny_van_Eekelen gave  you, but perhaps/probalby more extensive could be used to manage a lot of the particulars.

So for us to be able to really help, it really would be good if you could upload a sample or two of the spreadsheets you're working with, along with as complete description of the goals for this consolidation.

If you don't want to do this using VBA, I would suggest using something along the lines of =Choose( n, "=SUM(A1:H1)*2", "=SUM(A1:H1)*5", …) etc. to switch between formulas. You should be able to search for how to do this on line.