Formula to find a string

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I'm struggling with something that seems simple.  I'm trying to wrote a formula that looks for a specific string in a cell:  "Appointment of Rep".  The cell can contain many things, below are a few examples.  I've tried many things but none of them work, any thoughts or ideas!!

Some of the values in the cells, I want to return TRUE if any of the below contain "Appointment of Rep" and FALSE if it does not.

Appointment of Rep

Benefits, Tardiness, Appointment of Rep

Benefits, Appointment of Rep, Tardiness

Benefits, Tardiness

Tardiness, Benefits

Thank you for your help in advance!!

5 Replies

@Maria_Garcia_MEGA 

Assuming your string is in cell A2, then you may try one of the below formulas...

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Appointment of Rep",A2)),"True","False")

OR

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Appointment of Rep",A2)),"True","False")

OR

=IF(COUNTIF(A2,"*Appointment of Rep*"),"True","False")

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer Thank you so much!  Those were all of the formulas I had tried and they didn't work, they all returned FALSE.  I even tried those formulas with "*" in between the words as a wild card and it didn't help either.

@Maria_Garcia_MEGA 

It would be better if you upload a sample workbook with formulas in place to find the issue with the formulas.

@Subodh_Tiwari_sktneer 

Oddly, when I change the case from TRUE to True and FALSE to False, formulas 3 and 5 work!!!  Thank you so much for your help!!

These two worked for me:

IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Appointment of Rep",A2)),"True","False")

IF(COUNTIF(A2,"*Appointment of Rep*"),"True","False")

ISSU_DSIF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Appointment*Rep",AD,0)),"True","False")IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Appointment of Rep",AD,0)),"True","False")IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Appointment of Rep",A2)),"True","False")IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("Appointment of Rep",A2)),"True","False")IF(COUNTIF(A2,"*Appointment of Rep*"),"True","False")IF(COUNTIF(A2,"Appointment of Rep"),"TRUE","FALSE")
BENEFITS,SPECIALTY CARE,DENIED,CARE/SERVICE AVAILABLE WITHIN PROGRAMFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,DENIED,DOES NOT MEET CRITERIAFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
ACCESS,SURGERY/PROCEDURE,APPROVED,AUTHORIZATION CONFIRMEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,DENIED,NOT COVERED BY BENEFITFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,APPROVED,AUTHORIZATION CONFIRMEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,RADIOLOGY,DISMISSED,EFFECTUATED PRIOR TO RECEIPTFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,NUTRITION/DIETICIAN,DENIED,NOT COVERED BY BENEFITFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,APPROVED,MEETS CRITERIAFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,DENIED,CARE/SERVICE NOT MEDICALLY INDICATEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,SPECIALTY CARE,DISMISSED,PRE TO POSTFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
ACCESS,DME,DENIED,NOT COVERED BY BENEFITFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,DENIED,CARE/SERVICE NOT MEDICALLY INDICATEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,ALTERNATIVE CARE,APPROVED,AUTHORIZATION CONFIRMEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
ACCESS,SPECIALTY CARE,APPROVED,MEETS CRITERIAFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,APPROVED,MEETS CRITERIAFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,RADIOLOGY,APPROVED,CARE/SERVICE IS MEDICALLY INDICATEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
QUALITY OF CARE,SECOND OPINION/CONSULT,DENIED,CARE/SERVICE NOT MEDICALLY INDICATEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,DME,DISMISSED,NO APPOINTMENT OF REPFalseFalseTrueFalseTrueFALSE
QUALITY OF CARE,RADIOLOGY,DENIED,CARE/SERVICE NOT MEDICALLY INDICATEDFalseFalseFalseFalseFalseFALSE
BENEFITS,MENTAL HEALTH,DISMISSED,NO APPOINTMENT OF REPFalseFalseTrueFalseTrueFALSE
You're welcome!