SOLVED

Formula to calculate Points earned

Iron Contributor

Hi,

I am looking for one formula to count the points as explained in the attached workbook.

I can do it but I have use helper columns.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies

@A_SIRAT 

=SUM(IF(B4=$I$3,$J$3,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B4,$I$3:$I$5)),1)),IF(C4=$I$4,$J$4,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C4,$I$3:$I$5)),1)),IF(D4=$I$5,$J$5,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D4,$I$3:$I$5)),1)))

You can try this formula. Enter the formula with ctrl+shift+enter if you don't work with Office365 or Excel 2021 or Excel online.

positions.JPG

thank you !
Hi,

When I remove the countries (leave blank) that somebody has written, I get 9 points. This is a possibility for guys who will fill nothing.
Sorry I did not inform earlier but I use office 2019 which works OK with the formula.
best response confirmed by A_SIRAT (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@A_SIRAT 

=SUM(IF(B4="",0,IF(B4=$I$3,$J$3,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))),IF(C4="",0,IF(C4=$I$4,$J$4,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))),IF(D4="",0,IF(D4=$I$5,$J$5,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))))

You can try this formula. Unfortunately i didn't take into account empty cells in my previous suggestion.

@OliverScheurich  alternatively

=MMULT(--ISNUMBER(MATCH(B4:D7,J3:J5,0)),{1;1;1})+MMULT(--(B4:D7=TRANSPOSE(J3:J5)),K3:K5-1)

note: Both of these formulas will count extra points if someone can put the same country in multiple times.  For example Brazil, Brazil, Brazil would get 5 points (3 for correct in correct place + 1 + 1 for correct in wrong place).  

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by A_SIRAT (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@A_SIRAT 

=SUM(IF(B4="",0,IF(B4=$I$3,$J$3,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))),IF(C4="",0,IF(C4=$I$4,$J$4,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))),IF(D4="",0,IF(D4=$I$5,$J$5,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D4,$I$3:$I$5)),1))))

You can try this formula. Unfortunately i didn't take into account empty cells in my previous suggestion.

View solution in original post