Formula that can update automatically each month to show monthly KPI

Copper Contributor

I downloaded a template with a dashboard that shows monthly metrics taken from other worksheet pages, to give an at-a-glance view of important KPI's. I don't want to use the rest of the template, so I'd like to build something similar on my own. Unfortunately, the dashboard template is locked and I can't figure out how to recreate that formula on my own. Does anyone know how to make something like this? It seems like it should be so easy, but I'm stuck on how to make the formula update with each new month of data that's added, so I don't have to reset the formula every month -- which would defeat the whole purpose. 

Thanks in advance to any kind soul who might be able to save me from tearing all my hair out over this. 

6 Replies

This is pretty simple.  This graphics are called tiles or cards and can be reproduced using a chart or sparkline and some cell formatting or the incorporation of textboxes with formulas.  Do you have an example file with non-sensitive raw data that we could look at for reference? Or perhaps the original file you received?  The more detail you can provide on your data structure and it's anomalies the better solution the community will be able to provide.

Before and After Examples are especially helpful.

Hi Matt, 

Thank you for your help. I'm attaching the document I'm creating based on the template. I figured out how to add text to formulas and got the %monthly change section working in the "email open rate" box on the summary tab. What I'm really stuck on is the numbers in large font in the template. Somehow the template updates those numbers whenever a new month's data is entered on the other worksheets. I can't figure out how to get Excel to find the new month's data to update automatically. If I link the summary tab cell to a single month's cell in another worksheet, I'll have to redo the formula each month, which would defeat the purpose of the quick dashboard view. 

Hi Matt, 

Thank you for your help. I'm attaching the document I'm creating based on the template. I figured out how to add text to formulas and got the %monthly change section working in the "email open rate" box on the summary tab. What I'm really stuck on is the numbers in large font in the template. Somehow the template updates those numbers whenever a new month's data is entered on the other worksheets. I can't figure out how to get Excel to find the new month's data to update automatically. If I link the summary tab cell to a single month's cell in another worksheet, I'll have to redo the formula each month, which would defeat the purpose of the quick dashboard view. 

Please see attached for a dynamic way of calculating some of the metrics you would like.  I have completed the Email Open Rate and Email Opens using Index Match Match formulas. 

=INDEX(Email!$B$5:$O$29,MATCH("Open Rate",Email!$B$5:$B$29,0),MATCH(rngMonthBeg,Email!$B$5:$O$5,0))

=INDEX(Email!$B$5:$O$29,MATCH("Opens",Email!$B$5:$B$29,0),MATCH(rngMonthBeg,Email!$B$5:$O$5,0))

I also added in a few named ranges and commented your spreadsheet for better understanding.

rngToday = Today()

rngMonthBeg = EOMONTH(Z5,-2)+1

Hi Matt,

Thank you again for your help. I copied the formula to my real sheet (exact same format, layout, order of worksheets, etc.) and now I get a #name error. Can you tell me what you named? Or better yet (I know it's asking a lot) could you write out the steps you took to create this formula? This is way beyond my Excel knowledge, so I'm not sure what I need to do to replicate the process you followed. I'm also not sure what these mean or what I need to do with them:

rngToday = Today()

rngMonthBeg = EOMONTH(Z5,-2)+1

Sorry for the lack of understanding, I can normally muddle my way through Excel issues and formulas but this one seems to combine a few processes that I haven't learned yet, so it's hard to figure out where I need to start. 

Thanks,
Carly  

Reference cells Z5 and Z6 in the "Email" worksheet in the workbook I attached.  These are the named ranges.  So you will want to add formulas like this to your workbook.  Once they are in cells you can simply name them:

In order to create a named range you will need to go to

Formulas > Name Manager > New

or Option B

go to the cell you want to name then type in the range name you would like into the top left corner of the Excel window:

namerange.png