Formula language problem

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm from Switzerland and we speak 3 different languages. Mine is french but the most important is german. I use excel online, the menu is in french, no problem. But when I want to enter a formula, I have to type it in german. That's a problem for me. I didn't find how to change it. Please help me.

Thanx

Fabrice

19 Replies

Hi Fabrice,

You have to change your regional settings (locale) on French. For Excel Online that's actually settings for OneDrive (open it, find Site Settings, when Regional Settings).

For O365 Home (or other personal subscription) that's most probably is under My Account, not sure.

Hi Sergei,

Thanx for answer. Unfortunately, I've already try personnal settings and I found nothing. Please give me a print screen or a step by step explaination because I find no solutions.

What's your O365 subscription?

Okay, for any business one

1) Open OneDrive from the launcher

2) Settings

ODSettings.JPG

3) Regional

RegSettings.JPG

4) Locale

OD Locale.JPG

Hello

Sorry I'm not buisiness one user. My interface is not like yours...

2017-03-29.png

I think it's a bug in Office Online, because my language is french, Excel functions should be in french.

Language and locale are different settings. With French language in user interface you may have German locale.

I never checked, my guess Excel functions are in accordnce to the locale, not language.

I don't have german on my locale. I'm working with Office Online. I've checked my chrome settings, and french is also my default language. I've also try with Edge browser.

As you can see in the print screen Interface is in french but formula german!?!?!?!?!?

excel_edge.png

if I try french or english formula, I got #NAME as cell value

When bit more to clarify

1) You have Office 365 for business subscription

2) You open office.com and when goto OneDrive

3) Here you select Site Settings

4) In Site Settings in Regional settings you have French locale

Correct?

I have Office 365 personnal, not buisness

Hi Fabrice,

I have no O365 Home and can't reproduce, but try this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other/excel-online-how-to-chan...

Above is quite old and perhaps menu items changed, but i guess the idea shall work. In your online account settings change in personal info (where birthday, etc) your Country/region from Switzerland on France. When your locale will be changed on French one.

Why Microsoft keeps for Switzerland only German locale that's question to them

Thanks a lot. I will contact Microsoft.

Have a nice week-end

Fabrice

Did you get a solution? I still have the issue with Excel online. Everything is in English but the functions are in German. 

Hello,

I have a similar problem.

I have created an excel sheet with formulas. My excel is in Spanish and the formulas too.

I have to share this Excel file with people from other countries like Italy and Germany. They can open the file but the formulas are not working because are not recognize by their excel. 

All of us have the same excel version, Office 365.

What can I do?

Thanks

Would be awesome if there is some way this doesn't need to be pages long of people still not knowing how to change this. I have been on this for hours. Still not clear. I have searched hours, signed up for multiple forums on microsoft or office online of 365  or onedrive (talk about uniformity wow) and there is still no definitive answer on this seemingly simple problem.

@A_L88 

Hi Sergei, As you've been providing the most useful answer in this thread, I was wondering if you had finally heard of any solution from Microsoft to this language / region / locale mess in Office 365 mixing it all and leaving the users with unusable language settings (like assuming a default language for Excel formulas or MSN content in multilingual countries like Switzerland or Belgium, etc ? I've spent already hours searching for a solution and that *exact* same issue was already present in 2013 and I've completely lost any hope of seeing this corrected any time... Any update you've heard of ? Best regards. AlterMind
Hi Fabrice, Did you contact Microsoft as you intended to ? If yes was it through a forum where I can catch up with your thread ? Thanks for the update ! Best regards, AlterMind

@AlterMind64 I had the same issue. Changed language settings in OneDrive - but also cleared by cache (cookies). Works for me.