SOLVED

Formula including future specific days/dates

Copper Contributor

A big ask of a Formula Expert please.

There is need to develop a dashboard that shows a narrative statement against each of a series of Key Performance Indicators. Data inputs are due each Friday and on the last calendar day of each month (however it is recognised that is not always possible for the updates to be done when due).

At any time the Dashboard is required to show against each KPI a relevant narrative statement e.g. ‘Updated today’; ‘Overdue’; ‘Update due next Friday’; ‘Update due on the 15th’; or, ‘Update due at the end of the month’.

I have made some progress in developing a formula (below), however I am stumped as to how to finalise it to accommodate when updates are required: (i) ‘next’ Friday; (ii) the 15th of the month; and, (iii) the end of the month. 

=IF(AND(C2=0),"Updated today",IF(AND(C2>=-99,C2<=-1),"Overdue"," "))

Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

8 Replies

@Tolley123 

Cell C2 is obviously key in that set of conditionals. So some questions:

• What is in cell C2?
  • How does it get entered or calculated?
  • What would be the values that would lead to those conclusions that are hanging you up?

Is it possible for you to post a copy of the actual spreadsheet, or at least a mockup of the dashboard as it currently exists in development. Don't include actual confidential or proprietary data, of course, but the more you could share of the actual (or a mockup), the more we could give a recommendation that relates to your actual situation.

Thank you Mathetes for your interest in helping.
Apologies for not previously providing sufficient clarity. Whilst my previous note may still be useful for general context I suggest it is set aside, and let me try and clarify the essential elements:
 whatever day a user updates a KPI result the date of the update is input to a data collection worksheet.
 There is a need to develop (three?) formulae that calculate from the update date:
(i) the number of days to the following Friday;
(ii) the number of days to the next 15th of a month; and,
(iii) the number of days to the next end of a month.
With the above formulae providing correct quantitive results I believe I will then be able to develop the corresponding formulae that will report the required narrative statements.
Any assistance you can provide in developing the required formulae at (i) to (iii) above would be most appreciated. Thank you.

@Tolley123 

I'm on vacation at present, only sporadically checking these boards. These are intriguing formulas you're seeking and I"m looking forward to working on them, confident I'll be able to resolve (although it's going to take some playing around)....but it could easily be a week before I can devote the time. In the meantime, and to help make sure that if somebody else jumps in that we're addressing exactly what you need, let me ask just a couple more clarifying/confirming questions.

Let's assume the date of the last entry is in cell A1, for the purposes of discussion:

(i) the number of days to the following Friday;

If the date in A1 is that of a Thursday, do you mean the very next day, or the Friday of the following week?

(ii) the number of days to the next 15th of a month; 

If the date in A1 is the 14th, do you mean the very next day, or the 15th of the following month?

(iii) the number of days to the next end of a month.

If the date in A1 is the 27th of the month, do you mean the end of the same month, or the end of the following month?

Hi Mathetes, thanks for your note.

In each case it is the very next Friday/15th/month-end, so if the update was done on Wednesday 8-Sept, the three formulae would report 2, 7 and 22 respectively.

best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Tolley123 

This one was fun. Had to do some playing around to get all the answers.

Let's assume the last entered date is in cell C35.

The formula to determine the next Friday is:

=C35+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C35),5,4,3,2,1,7,6)

The formula to determine the next end of month is:

=IF(C35=EOMONTH(C35,0),EOMONTH(C35,1),EOMONTH(C35,0))

The formula to determine the next 15th of a month is

=IF(DAY(C35)<15,

DATE(YEAR(C35),MONTH(C35),15),

DATE(YEAR(C35),MONTH(C35)+1,15))

(and yes, those last two work across year boundaries as well)

Let me know if you want the formulas explained. You might have fun parsing them yourself, but if you get stumped, I'd be happy to explain how they work.

@mathetes 

Hi Mathetes,

Each of the responses you provided was spot on. Thank you very much.

I have taken some time to model some variations on what you provided and now better understand the formulae syntax.

Having also taken another look at the dashboard requirements to ensure they are satisfied I note there are a couple of permutations that still need addressing. Given that you enjoyed the initial challenge (smiley face) if you were up for a further challenge on the same theme (KPIs requiring twice-monthly updates) then your thoughts on these would also be very much appreciated:

1. A single formula to address a combination of the ‘15th of month’ and ‘end of month’ possibilities. E.g.
    1. if the input date was, say, 7-Oct-21 the response would be 15-Oct-21; and,
    2. if the input date was, say,  19-Oct-21 the response would be 31-Oct-21.
  2.  A single formula to address a KPI where an update is required every two weeks. E.g.
    1. A responses is required every other Friday commencing 8-Oct-21
    2. if the input date was, say, 7-Oct-21 the response would be 8-Oct-21; and,
    3. if the input date was, say, 11-Oct-21 the response would be 22-Oct-21.

Best regards.

@Tolley123 

That was indeed more fun. I got to use the QUOTIENT function for the first time. There are comments in the attached spreadsheet, which includes the formulas I created for your first inquiry, as well as these two new ones. I think I understood your specs, but in any event this should serve to help you modify to your specific needs. Let me know if you have more wrinkles to work with.

I highlighted the two new formulas by using blue bold text in the adjacent cells, where there's a brief label of what it does.

Hi John,
Apologies for not responding before now but I have had to focus my time on other matters.
The bi-weekly formulae both work well. Thank you. Now I see your logical I recognise that FLOOR.MATH could also have used.
With respect to ‘15th of month and end of month’ I am not using the latest version of Excel on either of my laptops & therefore the formula including IFS will not work for me unless there is an alternate formula?
Many thanks again, & best regards.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Tolley123 

This one was fun. Had to do some playing around to get all the answers.

Let's assume the last entered date is in cell C35.

The formula to determine the next Friday is:

=C35+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C35),5,4,3,2,1,7,6)

The formula to determine the next end of month is:

=IF(C35=EOMONTH(C35,0),EOMONTH(C35,1),EOMONTH(C35,0))

The formula to determine the next 15th of a month is

=IF(DAY(C35)<15,

DATE(YEAR(C35),MONTH(C35),15),

DATE(YEAR(C35),MONTH(C35)+1,15))

(and yes, those last two work across year boundaries as well)

Let me know if you want the formulas explained. You might have fun parsing them yourself, but if you get stumped, I'd be happy to explain how they work.

View solution in original post