Formula Help

Copper Contributor

I am trying to find a formula where I can take information from multiple tabs, I think I can use an if function but I am not sure. I am trying to use a data validation (drop down box) in a column, and in the column beside the formula, if in the drop down box a word or phrase is selected the column beside will automatically populate with a number that can represents that word or phrase selected in the drop down box.

example that will not work is
=IF(I3=I3,H3=Sheet3!A2,H3=0)
I3, is in the tab I am using the drop down box
H3, is where I want the information to automatically appear from a different tab in the same worksheet

1 Reply

@johnjohansen07155 The formula you are trying to use, indeed, makes no sense and has an incorrect syntax. A correct IF formula, entered in H3, could like like this

=IF(I3=I3,Sheet3!A2,0)

but it makes no sense since it checks if I3 equals I3. If so, then take the value in A2 from Sheet3, otherwise 0. Since the check (I3=I3) will always be true, it will always return A2 from Sheet3.

I suspect you need to use a lookup function, rather than IF. Share your file, or at least a representative sample of it, and tell us which Excel version you are using.