Formula Help

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to figure out the formula in excel which will populate various cells with the criteria of a certain ($) amount being reached first. i.e. My worksheet designates $1000 for material, $2000 for labor and $500 for profit. I want my worksheet to track that incoming payments are covering those designations in that order of priority. So if i receive a check for $1500, what formula do I use to track that the first $1000 of that payment covers material, and then the remaining $500 of that payment goes toward my designation for labor?

1 Reply

@Steve12251105 

So if i receive a check for $1500, what formula do I use to track that the first $1000 of that payment covers material, and then the remaining $500 of that payment goes toward my designation for labor?

Just for the record here, there is no single formula for this kind of thing. In Excel there are always several different routes from Point A to Point B, from input to output. So very much depends, in a situation such as you describe, on the bigger context. For example, you are probably in a setting where you have multiple clients, each of whom may be making payments, and payments over time. So how are you tracking those multiple payments from multiple clients against this set of priorities? Do you charge a fee or interest if the payments are spread over time? And so forth.

I've attached a spreadsheet I created to show but one possible way to track such payments. Play around with different payments and see how it does. It was fun creating this, thinking through how it might proceed. Again, though, this is just one possible way. And you'll note that there are several formulas involved. Here's what it looks like with serial payments of $500 each.

mathetes_0-1678891559910.png

It also handles your $1,500 payments.

mathetes_1-1678891646029.png