Formula Help - Unique Value Count and Sum

Copper Contributor

Hi there, I have some questions on how to write a formula, and also a query about how unique formulas work? Is the "unique" one just the one that appears first in a list? And if I re-sorted the list, would the one that was considered "unique" within a formula change to the one at the top of the list upon re-calculation?

Capture.PNG

The result I am trying to achieve is:

If a cell is unique within Column B, sum values in Column E.

I guess, leading on from that is returning a count of statuses (Column C) if A cell in Column B is considered unique - but obviously, I only want the latest version number, so if I were to sort Column D by descending version number (I also have a date created column no pictured) I only want to count the latest "unique" status.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer!

3 Replies

Ashleigh,

could you provide a sample workbook with the desired results?

Hi there, I guess it would really depend on how excel decides which entry is the unique one.

At the moment, I am guessing it just takes the first instance of a result in list order. I'm really not sure if what I'm asking for can be done.

Below is two examples of the outcome I am looking for:

Both are just re-ordered slightly. Looking for the first unique value in column B and summing column E based on column C's status.

Capture787.PNG

Insert a pivot table: "Status" in row area and "Duration" in values area.