Formula help - =If =IF And...

Copper Contributor

Hi

I am trying to write a formula that basically does the following:

If Cell A1 has a value of less than 3 = Fail, if cell A1 has a value more than 4 = Pass...

thats easy but I want the same formula to then check cell A2 and see if that has equaled more than 2  (but at the same time still checking that cell A1 is more than 3...  to then equal "Merit") finally then checking Cell A3 has a value more than 1 in it and to equal "Dist"

You can guess this for tracking students - so basically if a cell A1 does not meet a value more than 4 then it should not matter if value are in the other cells... 

hope that make sense to some one - ive tried a few variations and cant get it to work. 

Thanks

7 Replies

@Dal84 

Microsoft has a good example about nested IF()

NESTED IF

Close - I want to check a certain value has been reached in one cell before adding another cell value to it to then display a grade.... so basically test 1 student got a x amount then in test 2 student got x this means final grade of Y to be displayed.

@Dal84 

Something like this?

image.png

@Peter Bartholomew 

That is also close - see attachment, Ive tried using numbers but the issue is basically if a learner fails to complete a P element but still does the M and D work they should get a fail - a simple maths formula overlooks this need to have a points in each element. 

Why dont you put your full doubt in first place?
This way is difficult to assist you because your question was not fully formulated.
Full doubt?

@Dal84 

image.png

where 'passes' and 'merit' are names for relative references to parts of the current row.