Formula Help for Vlookup and IF

Copper Contributor

I need to combine data from two sheets into a single sheet. We're mapping new employee import data to historical ID's. This will allow us to map historical sales imports to the current employees.

I have a workbook with two sheets. I want to create a VLOOKUP that will search the First_Name and Last_Name columns C and D in sheet 1 and compare the normalized First_Name and Last_Name columns E and in the second sheet. The result of the lookup entering the value of the Employee_ID into column A on the first sheet.

Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks, 

Sweeney

3 Replies
Hi Johnny

I would add a helper column on both sheets that combines First Name and Last Name into a single column and then do a lookup referencing that value on both sheets.

Could you upload a sample of the data showing exactly what you need.

Another option is to use Excel Power Query to merge the 2 sets of data and then you don't have to write any formula, but I'd need to see a sample of your data to help explain that one

Thanks for your assistance Wyn! I've attached an example. The goal is to have values from cells in POS column A, to be copied to Payroll_Import column for matched cells on Payroll_Import column and POS_Import column I.

Hi Johnny

I've attached a demo file using INDEX MATCH

Note, there are not matches in the data you provided.

If you've not used INDEX MATCH before then I've attached a link to a short video 

https://youtu.be/cT6K8Gz97PE