SOLVED

Formula help. Different variables

Copper Contributor

Please could somebody help me, I am trying to automate points for an incentive. 

So, the more points based gained based on certain variables.

I have attached an image which would be the criteria. I just can't figure it out at all or if this is even possible. 

Thank you. 

LiamL2002_0-1670094202745.png

5 Replies

@LiamL2002 

I have attached an image which would be the criteria. I just can't figure it out at all or if this is even possible. 

Unfortunately, you haven't explained those criteria. They're (presumably) clear to you, but all they are to an outsider is a bunch of numbers, numbers in different boxes of associated hours. And one of the columns has a cryptic heading--SPH/EPH--which undoubtedly is clear to you, but could yield all kinds of interpretations to that outsider.

An image may be worth 1,000 words, but sometimes 100 or 200 words can be worth more than an image.

I gather you're trying to figure out a way to have the points calculated--although that may be an incorrect reading. Either way, if you could spend a few words explaining in English what it is you want to deliver, and how those various boxes, and numbers in them, relate, I'm quite sure that Excel can handle it. But it--whatever IT is--does need to be defined, explained. Leave the Excel formulas to us; how would you explain the points system that you want automated to a bright person who is unfamiliar with your workplace, explaining that in plain ol' English?

@mathetes 

Apologies, 

So if someone has worked 3 hours of overtime up to 5 and then also hit the "22/15" SPH/EPH basically messages sent per hour. They would get the 2 points 23/16 the 3 points and so on. I started to struggle when I got to the 5-7 hours overtime criteria and hitting the 22/15 SPH/EPH and the points it then would assign. 

It's a team incentive running to encourage overtime, but the team would gain more points if more overtime has been done and reached higher numbers towards their targets. 

I hope this helps a little. 

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@LiamL2002 It does help. 

this illustrates one way to solve this. Put all those criteria into a two-dimensional table, with OT hours across the top (the horizontal dimension),  SPH/EPH values down the vertical dimension. And use INDEX and MATCH to select the appropriate number of points.

mathetes_0-1670162569567.png

There would be other ways to arrange the data entry. You don't specify how you're going to use this, so this basically just illustrates the concept. All the work (once the data table is arrayed properly) is done by a single formula, in cell C14. A copy of the spreadsheet is attached.

=INDEX($C$4:$G$7,MATCH($C$13,$A$4:$A$7,0),MATCH($C$12,$C$2:$G$2,0))

Thank you so much. This really does help! Sorry if I was a bit vague but I'm fairly new to Excel and wasn't really sure what can and cannot be done and wasn't with how it can be arranged etc.

@LiamL2002 

Sorry if I was a bit vague but I'm fairly new to Excel and wasn't really sure what can and cannot be done and wasn't with how it can be arranged etc.

We all begin "new with Excel" at some point. My own "newbie" point was about 45 years ago, with the early Lotus 1-2-3. In those days, software packages came with manuals; Lotus had a box with several VOLUMES of info on the various functions and what they could do. I read through them multiple times, generally once a year, always discovering another way to do something I'd been doing "the hard way."

Just so you know, Excel is marvelously powerful when it comes to processing or manipulating data (both numerical and textual). It has its limits, to be sure, but when it comes to data that can be arrayed in tables or database form, conditional reasoning, etc., etc., it's very powerful.

A key to unlocking that power is in being clear in your own mind on what you want done, key in conceptual ways, and able to describe that (to yourself or to somebody else) is plain old words.  A mistake people often make here on these forum pages is to come in asking for help but describing their need in terms of formulas. You didn't do that, but nor did you describe the process you were trying to automate; you gave an image that had many implicit assumptions clear to you but not necessarily to those of whom you were asking assistance. Be aware of that, and try to articulate things from an "input"and "output" perspective, paying attention to what kind of data is at the "raw" end, what you want at the "results" end, and what happens in between.

Let me refer you to a website that I've often found helpful. In this case, here are links to the two functions that were key in solving your situation. 

INDEX

MATCH

The website's homepage can be used to search for other functions by category.

Perhaps even more helpful to you, though, would be some basic books on Excel. Or search through the many instructional videos on YouTube.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@LiamL2002 It does help. 

this illustrates one way to solve this. Put all those criteria into a two-dimensional table, with OT hours across the top (the horizontal dimension),  SPH/EPH values down the vertical dimension. And use INDEX and MATCH to select the appropriate number of points.

mathetes_0-1670162569567.png

There would be other ways to arrange the data entry. You don't specify how you're going to use this, so this basically just illustrates the concept. All the work (once the data table is arrayed properly) is done by a single formula, in cell C14. A copy of the spreadsheet is attached.

=INDEX($C$4:$G$7,MATCH($C$13,$A$4:$A$7,0),MATCH($C$12,$C$2:$G$2,0))

View solution in original post