Formatting a cell (like cell fill color) if current value different than VLOOKUP value

Copper Contributor

I'm using VLOOKUP to bring in values for selected cells from another worksheet, where this new worksheet gets updated each week and I need to update mine with values from the appropriate cells.  That is working great. 

But, I also want to be able to format the cell (e.g., change fill to yellow) if the VLOOKUP value brought into my existing worksheet is different (i.e., if it represents an updated value for that cell from what I had).  I played around with using the Conditional Formatting to use after the fact, which is not bad, but you have to be careful with how you manipulate the file going forward if you expect it to work well as you go through updates (each week in my case).  And the cell formatting is dependent upon having the Conditional Formula, so it goes away if the Conditional Formatting formula is cleared.

In plain English I need a formula that essentially accomplishes this for each cell where I am using VLOOKUP:

o  Bring in the value for this cell from the corresponding cell in a separate Worksheet, and

update this cell's value with the one from that other Worksheet.

o  If the value brought in is different than the one that was there before the VLOOKUP was

executed, then format the cell (set the fill color to yellow for example)

o  End formula.

Suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

0 Replies