Format Painter Not Working

Copper Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

My format painter is not working. I'm not trying to do anything complex. Just the basic positioning of text inside a cell, the font, and the date format. When I highlight the cell I want to copy the format from and then select the cell I want to have the same formatting in, it literally does nothing. Absolutely nothing changes at all. Does anyone know how to fix this?

3 Replies
With your permission, if I can recommend. It can help us all if you upload an Excel file (without sensitive data), no picture. Even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases. This would also be a blessing for all of us, as we can understand the problem much better, a win-win situation for everyone.
* Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino
I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@Kim_Heslin 

To be sure what you are doing:

stay on cell, right click and here click on Format painter

image.png

cursor will be with paint. Click on another cell, format shall be applied

image.png

@Kim_Heslin It's, as we say in my part of the world. squirrely. I managed to get format painter in Excel to work. Once. 

I think we can assume that the function was meant to copy Word, but the two applications are so different that the underlying code cannot be duplicated in Excel. Hence the developers did their best to imitate the behavior in Word, but it likely got away from them.

In any case, as is true with everything Microsoft, we're the beta testers. Hence, the best thing you could probably do is provide feedback to MS, as is expected of beta testers. Navigate to the Home, click Help, and then Feedback - Report a Problem.

Good luck.