Font color overrides table format template font color

Copper Contributor

No matter what normal font color do I set, it will override any table format template.

By "normal" I mean the format we set NOT using any special tricks like conditional format or table template.
This is not about conditional formatting, even though I use that, too. Two other types of formatting clash: the normal settings vs table format templates (any, whether built in or custom).

My table's range (B2:K22) is not only formatted differently by a custom table format template, but the same range also has a different "normal" format than the area surrounding it.

And there is no way I can apply the white (or any other) font color of any table format template.

Normal format settings i.e. NOT the table template on the worksheet:
- table range is with "no color" of background (fill) and I tried various colors for font,
- surrounding area (not B2:K22) is with white font and black background.

I don't change that, and then a table format template is set for the table range.

Previously I had black background (normal format) in the table range, too. That caused the table format template's background color to be ignored.
Then I set the normal format of cell background to "no color", and this allowed the table format template (alternating color of rows) background to take effect.

BUT in normal format settings there is no such option as "no color" for font, that choice exists only for background (fill) color.
So, in normal format settings (not table format template) I'm forced to choose a font color: automatic, black, white whatever.

And that choice overrides ANY table format template's font color, whether it is a built in or custom template.

My custom table format template:
- white font color in ALL sub parts of the template: title, results, first and second row, entire table and also in all kinds of column specification,
- either very dark or black background (fill) colors (depends on part of table and row index).

I thought, if I choose "automatic" font color in the normal format settings, that would let the table format take effect, but it doesn't.
It's just black, so there's no point calling it automatic.

This means I can't use any table format template with alternating font color, and if I pick one with just one font color I still have to set the font color manually to match the template.

This is true for the title row, too, so forget templates with two font colors anywhere on a table...
Can I make table templates work?
Windows 8.1, MS Office 365, Excel 2013 (15.0.5267.1000) 32-Bit

1 Reply

I've worked on your file and on this matter about 2-3 hours. Interesting things. To start the discussion, I can say that if you format the table range with font color "[Black], Text 1" the table's format takes effect. I tested on various worksheets and on most of them this workaround was successful. But on one of them you have to choose the Automatic for font color for table range for the table's font color to take effect. On one worksheet, both didn't help, until I have clear formatting with the option in Home tab, Edit section, Clear.. options. In this last scenario, even "Right clicking on the desired Table Style and selecting "Apply (And Clear Formatting)" but on the previous worksheets this option was working and was setting the normal font color to "[Black], Text 1" not to "Automatic" but I thing on an weird worksheet it resetted it to "Automatic" also. All these are very intricate things, which are being effected by Themes colors applied on the workbook, normal font colors applied on the cells, even maybe on text (portions) inside a cell, table formatting etc. We should not waste our valuable time on these intricate things just to be ware of how things work on a software since it may be a result of a bug or even the working principals of softwares.

Edit: by the way, thank you for posting about this so that I could found 1 your discussion on the Internet when I encountered with this problem on my own file.