SOLVED

Find the formula used

Copper Contributor

How do I find out what was the formula used to get the numbers in the D column using all or a few of the numbers in A, B, and C columns in Excel? I had received this data in pdf.

4 Replies

@rockyhimalayas You can't tell for sure unless you ask the person who created the spreadsheet. But, by looking at the numbers it seems that column C = A + B. Column D could be ( A * 0.5 ) + ( B * 0.9 ). See attached.

Thank you Riny. Yes you are right about both column C and D. Would be kind to help understand how did you figure out the formula used for column D.

Regards
Rakesh
best response confirmed by rockyhimalayas (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rockyhimalayas By trial and error and some logic. No particular Excel skills needed.

First, I noted that the last two in D were half of A. Then I added B and noticed that the difference with the desired result (where B <> 0), consistently amounted to 10% of B. Hence, adding 0.9 x B did the trick.

If I had not seen the relationship at once, I would have continued with Goal Seek, I guess.

Notice though that I said that the formula could be lik that. It is very possible that there are other conditions is the real underlying formula that just don't impact the end result for this five examples given. Better check with the author of the original sheet, if possible.

Thank you so much Riny, for your time and efforts.
Really appreciate.

Best
Rakesh
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rockyhimalayas (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rockyhimalayas By trial and error and some logic. No particular Excel skills needed.

First, I noted that the last two in D were half of A. Then I added B and noticed that the difference with the desired result (where B <> 0), consistently amounted to 10% of B. Hence, adding 0.9 x B did the trick.

If I had not seen the relationship at once, I would have continued with Goal Seek, I guess.

Notice though that I said that the formula could be lik that. It is very possible that there are other conditions is the real underlying formula that just don't impact the end result for this five examples given. Better check with the author of the original sheet, if possible.

View solution in original post