SOLVED

Filtering multiple SSN's

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to filter multiple SSN's (at once) on a spreadsheet instead of individually typing the SSN and adding it to the filtered list?

EDIT: What I mean by adding to a filtered list is.. I have a spreadsheet of 15,000 employees which includes a column of SSN's. Let's say I have one SSN that I need to locate - I'll filter the spreadsheet for that specific SSN. If I need to then search another SSN but also keep the current SSN that I already filtered - I'll go the SSN column - click the filter drop down - type the SSN - and then check the box "add current selection to filter." That adds the new SSN to the already filtered SSN. So now I have a filtered spreadsheet of two employees from the two SSN's I searched.

My questions is, if I have a list of 60+ SSN's I need to pull from a spreadsheet of 15,000+ employees - is there a simpler way to pull them in bulk rather than individually?

Thanks you!

4 Replies
maybe.
your description is far to vague to give you any sort of clear answer. I realize you can't include the spreadsheet since it has SSNs but you could mock up a fake sheet. You must at least explain more about what your are trying to do. What do you even mean by "filter" and then adding to "filtered list"? What version of Excel are you using? Excel 365 offers the function FILTER() which might do exactly what you need but my response with questions has already exceeded how much information you provided so please let us know more.
@mtarler  hey! I'm using Excel 365. What I mean by adding to a filtered list is.. I have a spreadsheet of 15,000 employees which includes a column of SSN's. Let's say I have one SSN that I need to locate - I'll filter the spreadsheet for that specific SSN. If I need to then search another SSN but also keep the current SSN that I already filtered - I'll go the SSN column - click the filter drop down - type the SSN - and then check the box "add current selection to filter." That adds the new SSN to the already filtered SSN. So now I have a filtered spreadsheet of two employees from the two SSN's I searched.

My questions is, if I have a list of 60+ SSN's I need to pull from a spreadsheet of 15,000+ employees - is there a simpler way to pull them in bulk rather than individually?

I hope this is a better explanation for you to visualize. Thank you!
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@syoum  So you can use a slicer to make it easier to select the filter items but you would still be clicking them individually.  In the attached I give a very basic example of using FILTER to display a filtered version of a table based on a list of values.  See attached and hopefully that helps.

Thank you! @mtarler
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mtarler (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@syoum  So you can use a slicer to make it easier to select the filter items but you would still be clicking them individually.  In the attached I give a very basic example of using FILTER to display a filtered version of a table based on a list of values.  See attached and hopefully that helps.

View solution in original post