Fill handle not increment a sequence

Copper Contributor

Hello guys!

I hope someone helps me.

My excel is not incrementing a sequence when I use the fill handle function.

For example, if I type, 1, 2, 3..., in the cells A1, A2, A3...respectively and select the range A1:A3, and  I pull down, it fills the next cells with 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3... instead of 4, 5, 6, 7,...

I don't know what is happening, it always worked well.

Jluisnun_0-1619826199627.png

I checked in "Options->Advanced-> "Enable fill handle and Drag and drop" it is marked as "Enable".

Jluisnun_2-1619826553307.png

Curiously,  when  I click on "Edit Custom Lists" button, it doesn't open the window for edit list. this button is not working, it looks a kind of bug in the application.

Jluisnun_1-1619826402186.png

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot.

22 Replies
You're not, by chance, holding down the control key?
Hi JMB17,

No, I am doing exactly as before. I have used Excel for my years and I have never seen an error like that.
Hi JMB17,

No, I am doing exactly as before. I have used Excel for my years and I have never seen an error like that.

Thanks.
What happens if you enter 1 in a cell then use ctr+fill handle down?

Hi Patrick2788,

When I type 1 and hold "Ctrl" + Fill handle, it repeat 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1...

Jluisnun_0-1620069013449.png

I have been having the same issue.  I confirm in the advanced tab that the enable fill check box is selected and I also confirmed calculations are set to automatic instead of manual.  Have there been any solutions to this?

@Jluisnun 

Hello,  @AGibbs 

Do you resolve the issue? I'm facing the same, without being able to find a solution.

No fix. To be honest, I gave up.
As I use two laptop, when I need make lists using that resource, I use other computer, also, depending of kind of list, I use formulas, copy and paste special as text.
It is stupid, I know, but at least I continue working.

If anyone found a solution, please share it.

Hello @Jluisnun 

Thanks for the Feedback. 

The problem came up [ at least for me] once I changed the region on the windows. After that, the fill handle stop function and the custom list cannot be edited [ window don't popup ]. Most probably is a bug in the office suite. Also, re-install office [normal/clean] didn't resolve the issue. 

I have escalated the matter with Microsoft support, and I will update you on any development. 

@Nkoutsi 

I was experiencing this as a periodic problem, which (for me) a solution has been found, via another group. If the sheet you are working on has a filter applied, then it stops the auto increment. As soon as I clear any filters it increments perfectly.

I hope this resolves the issue for some of you

Did you guys find a solution for this? I am still facing the same issue in October of 2022.

Hello @mariomeyrelles_esw

I resolved it long back, and I don't remember exactly the steps in detail. The solution - at least for me - was a clean uninstall/install of the office suite. Regretfully, the "clean" uninstall does not erase everything, resulting in intervention in the registry [ before the installation of the suite]. You can consult many threads regarding the registry related to a clean uninstall of the office.

Hope to help

Allan Fuller advised above, remove any filters and it should work
Hey guys,

After more than a year suffering from various problems in my excel, uninstalling and reinstalling. I made the decision to restore my Windows. I was believing that there would be some error in the windows registry or something related to. Another hypothesis was how Windows and Excel were handling commas and stop marks (for group of numbers and decimals). The sorting function wasn't working either...

I'm not sure what actually happened, but with the restore all Excel functionality is working normally.

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall all my apps... :(

@Jluisnun 

I had the same problem and none of the responses worked; and, like you, it was working great and then suddenly stopped incrementing.  But then I noticed when I inadvertently clicked on a cell I was copying (using CTRL D to copy the above cell) that I had accidentally put in a blank line using ALT>ENTER (enters a return to a new line in a cell).  I deleted the line with a backspace and VOILA, the drop and drag with increment began working again.  Since I was copying all my cells using the CTRL D function, I was copying that blank line each time and I can only assume that the drop and drag feature just did not see the number above the blank line as anything but text.  Anyway...another problem solved in my world!  Hope this helps in yours!

I experienced the same issue and have no truck with reinstalling unless something is life threatening.  The solution for me was that for some reason the formatting of this column of data was set to 'General.'  I set it to Number and the crowd went wild...

Yes, same thing happened to me as well. There must be some bug related the regions.
This worked for me, thanks!

@jlewi219

I am happy it worked for you!